Author Topic: Almost Fatal Problems  (Read 20311 times)

Offline John Liebson

Re: Almost Fatal Problems
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 12:10:56 AM »
Ahem...

Can you at least answer my question? Did you or did you not try PWM with a new/fresh/blank RDF file?

Also, I am using 2.0.0.5, so this is not a general problem with that version. Eric? You upgrade yet?
I don't want to sound rude, so please don't take this that way: I've told you at least twice that I installed PWM by itself, without copying the old .rdf file, and that I found just about the same results each time that I did that as I continue to find with the old .rdf.

Thanks for letting me know that the problem is not with 2.0.0.5. (I wonder if the moon-phase setting in my computer is wrong and adversely affecting PWM?)

I did this once with an existing, mainly empty profile, and a second time with (at your request) an entirely new profile in which I installed PWM and nothing else.

In other words, the answer to your question is, "Yes, I have tried 'PWM with a new/fresh/blank RDF file', unfortunately to no avail."

I most assuredly appreciate your staying with me on this.

Nihil aliud scit necessitas quam vincere - Necesssity knows nothing else but victory. (Syrus)

Please let me know when Eric, you, and I have achieved that victory....

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 12:28:07 AM »
I don't want to sound rude, so please don't take this that way: I've told you at least twice that I installed PWM by itself, without copying the old .rdf file, and that I found just about the same results each time that I did that as I continue to find with the old .rdf.
Hmmm.. aaaah, I do see once where you did explicitly (missed that - others were not explicit) - so my apologies...

Ok, two more things come to mind:

1. When you reinstalled, did you DELETE the Mozilla Firefox directory from the Program Files directory BEFORE reinstalling (this is the preferred method)?

and

2. Did you try with a fresh profile that was created AFTER YOU REINSTALLED? If the fresh profile was made from a corrupted FF installation...

I most assuredly appreciate your staying with me on this.

Nihil aliud scit necessitas quam vincere - Necesssity knows nothing else but victory. (Syrus)

Please let me know when Eric, you, and I have achieved that victory....
Heh... we're bound to find the problem eventually - I'm not one to admit defeat easily...

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 01:23:22 AM »
Sorry, your apology is not accepted, as it was not needed. So there! (Almost forget, thanks, accepted in the spirit in which it was offered.)

As to your questions: Yes, I used Add/Remove to delete FF, then removed the entire program folder structure.

After reinstalling FF, I then tried the existing test profile; when that did not help, I deleted it, including its files, and created a new one; thus, I have tested WMP not only with an entirely clean program installation, but also with a profile that was created after the new, clean program installation.

As for not giving up, that's too easy: Vincere est totum - To win is everything. (I'm with you on not giving up: One of my finest achievements was getting the U.S. Fire Administrator to completely change direction on the use of a multi-million dollar Federal grant, then, for the revised use of that grant money, to defeat the largest fire protection organization in the country on how they wanted the testing involved in the project to be done, etc. Not bad for someone with an academic background in medieval studies!)

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 01:54:29 AM »
Hah! I know something you don't know. Nyah, nyah....

I just tested something I've been meaning to do all day, namely turn off SpySweeper. When I did that, PWM worked instantly. Turn SpySweeper back on, WMP slowed down again.

What I don't know, and likely have no way of knowing, is why SS is having such an effect on PWM.

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 02:07:31 AM »
[edit] Nevermind, didn't read the second page.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 02:10:14 AM by miquelfire »
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 02:43:00 AM »
* Eric H. Jung hurts SpySweeper with a bloated fish!

Quote from: John
One of my finest achievements was getting the U.S. Fire Administrator to completely change direction on the use of a multi-million dollar Federal grant, then, for the revised use of that grant money, to defeat the largest fire protection organization in the country on how they wanted the testing involved in the project to be done, etc. Not bad for someone with an academic background in medieval studies

Just what is it that you do for a living?

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 02:57:40 AM »
What do I do for a living? That's easy, I spend my wife's salary....

Among other things, I've been a college prep-school teacher, I've run a cabinet-making shop, I've sold two-way radios and related equipment to both retail and government customers. My last position was as a substitute teacher in two public middle schools and the two local public high schools; this was so stressful, due to a basically-failed school system, that I have resigned and am, once again, seeking a job.

I really like teaching, but both my wife and I have had a really difficult time with this, partially because even our local prep schools are of poor quality. The school where she was teaching was, at one time, arguably the second-best such school in the state (where prep school is not a tradition), but with the current headmaster is now just a "resting place" for kids whose parents can pay the fees, a truly sad story that I won't go into at any length here.

(Please don't tell anyone my secret, which is that I actually like most teens!)

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 02:58:37 AM »
[edit] Nevermind, didn't read the second page.
You seem to be assuming that we would have paid attention otherwise....

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2007, 04:00:29 AM »
The other developers have e-mail notification.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2007, 04:27:21 AM »
Heh... actually - had I known that you were using it (at least the memory resident portion) that would have been one of the first things I'd have told you to disable.

I *loathe* SS's memory resident app - it has caused me no end of trouble every time I have tried it.

NOD32, on the other hand, is the best thing since sliced bread. Their v3 (in beta now) is gonna be killer.

But SS does have an excellent scanner/removal function... just disable all the active shield crap...

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2007, 04:27:59 AM »
The other developers have e-mail notification.
You don't? Why not?

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2007, 12:27:16 PM »
Heh... actually - had I known that you were using it (at least the memory resident portion) that would have been one of the first things I'd have told you to disable.

I *loathe* SS's memory resident app - it has caused me no end of trouble every time I have tried it.

NOD32, on the other hand, is the best thing since sliced bread. Their v3 (in beta now) is gonna be killer.

But SS does have an excellent scanner/removal function... just disable all the active shield crap...
This is the first time I have had any problem of any sort with SS, and it must have started with the latest release, which was perhaps a month ago. I'm going to disable each shield function, one at a time, until and unless I can find which one is the culprit. SS never interfered with PWM before; I must not have edited anything in PWM after updating the SS program recently, so I had not seen the problem.

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2007, 03:08:12 AM »
It might be a mod that needs to be installed, but if you were to track what users were logged in for like the last 24 hours, most likely you'll see my name on the list. Plus, it's annoying to get an e-mail after you read what it was telling you about.

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2007, 11:50:01 AM »
I found that the File System Shield of SpySweeper is the cause of the problem. I submitted a tech support ticket to Webroot about this; to my surprise, I found an email reply from them this morning, which was sent at 2336 yesterday (an odd time for a company in Boulder, CO, to be working on a Saturday).

Webroot stated that they are working on a known problem with that shield, to be released in an update to SpySweeper; perhaps that update will fix the problem I'm having with SS interfering with PWM.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 12:33:53 PM »
SS is a huge resource hog anyway... as big as the Noton or Macafee products. Personally I would never run its real time shields.

Its scanner/removal functionality is very good though (at least it was the last time I used it)...

I don't need it though. There is plenty of free stuff available that works just fine. That plus Comodo firewall and Firefox+NoScript and I really don't have to worry about getting infected...

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 12:33:53 PM »