Author Topic: Password "Too" Complex  (Read 3984 times)

Offline wiz561

• Normal Members
Password "Too" Complex
« on: July 02, 2007, 06:35:25 PM »
Hi!  I just started using PasswordMaker for a second time around because I really need to get my act together.  However, I am having one small issue.  Is there a way you can have a custom rule for a certain web site to follow the password generation guidelines?

For example, I would like to have an extremely secure password, but unfortunately, my bank doesn't accept $ < > & ^ ! [ ] for a password.  Is it possible to tell PWM if the URL is http://blah, then use a password policy that is alpha-numeric, while the default is alpha-numeric-symbol? 

I also know some web sites only allow password to be 8 characters long.  Is it possible to tell PWM to use 8 chars instead of a 32 char password for some sites?

Thanks in advanced...

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: Password "Too" Complex
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 06:41:44 PM »
If you haven't already, goto advance view.

Anyway, what you need to do is create an account in PasswordMaker for sites that don't follow your defaults (or don't allow for your defaults to be used, like your bank). Also of note, you must create a pattern so that PasswordMaker knows to use that account for auto-populate and/or CoolKey fill ins (Not sure if this applies to right click fill ins on fields)
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline wiz561

• Normal Members
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 07:22:10 PM »
Ah, thank you.  I created a 'new group', and then copied over the 'defaults' to that group.  I changed the 'defaults' around under the banking group, and sure enough, it generated a password as expected.

Should I use a new 'group' or a new 'account'.  From what I can tell, I can't move or copy an account into the top level area.

thanks!

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 08:23:02 PM »
Except for the default account, all accounts have to be in a group.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 08:23:02 PM »