Author Topic: Accounts, beyond lost  (Read 5909 times)

Offline iNick

• Normal Members
Accounts, beyond lost
« on: June 16, 2007, 02:21:03 AM »
I've read some of the existing posts about the Accounts, overriding accounts, etc..  none of which are matching what I'm working with.

It's unlike me to register to a site for one post and possibly never returning, but this utility really is a needed utility/addon, that I can see that it would benefit me and others to register.

I'm using PWM v1.6.2 on SeaMonkey 1.1.2 (Running FreeBSD 6.2)

I'm trying to register at ubid.com and ubid.com's password field is picky on what it's going to accept.  It want's the alphanumeric (A-Z0-9) and underscore only.  Since the password being input in the form is only *'s, I can't see which one it is being picked.

All I've done in a new group (called "Auctions") is an account called "ubid.com"

This account I changed the password paramaters to match what ubid is asking for, but I can't seem to get PWM to use this new one with the limited characters, and I'm lost.  None of the docs seems to match what I'm looking at.

Maybe it's time for an updated sticky for the topic of Accounts, or I totally missed the one that's already there.  Thanks for any help, and Kudos, really -- to ALL the people that put this addon together, it's sorely needed, thank you all very much!

--TJ

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: Accounts, beyond lost
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 02:39:26 AM »
Another reason we really need a wiki setup here. At the very least, we need someone to update the manual, possibly for at least 1.5 (Yes, Manual is that outdated)

When you make an account, there's a URLs tab, in which you need to define a pattern for it. That's all there's to it. Hopefully you can find info about how the pattern system works from the threads around here.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline iNick

• Normal Members
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 02:46:32 AM »
I see the URL tab, but I don't see what I'm missing to get it working.  I have the top line,

"Use the following URL to calculate the generated password:" which contains "ubid.com"

The checkmark underneath doesn't resolve the problem on ubid, unchecked or checked ubid returns the same error:

"Password contains invalid characters. Password can only contain letters, numbers, or '_' sign."

I think there's another limitation to ubid's checking but it's not admitting it.  I set the password to be 16 characters in length.

I'm not sure where to start investigating the problem; but any leads would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 02:53:38 AM »
You should see a list box which has the text above it:
"Activate auto-population when the URL of a webpage matches any of the following patterns:"

You need to add patterns to this list for it to work.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline iNick

• Normal Members
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 04:14:09 AM »
Still not working -- Don't worry about it, I really think it's a shortcoming on ubid's site.

Thanks for the tips, and quick reply.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 06:36:02 AM »
Still not working -- Don't worry about it, I really think it's a shortcoming on ubid's site.

Thanks for the tips, and quick reply.

First, you should turn off passwords displayed as asterisks on webpages so you can see what PasswordMaker is doing. You can do this in Global Settings->Show all passwords on web pages as clear text.

Next, to adjust the characters PasswordMaker uses, go to Account-Specific Settings (double-click on the account or Defaults) and go to the Extended tab. In the Characters box, enter the characters you'd like the password to be composed of.

Hope that helps,
Eric

Offline morguns

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 03:34:55 AM »
"Use the following URL to calculate the generated password:" which contains "ubid.com"
remember that "Use the following URL to calculate the generated password:" is only used for calculating the password. did you modify the "characters" on the extended tab? get rid of all the special characters there and your generated password should meet ubid's specifications.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 03:34:55 AM »