Author Topic: System of Password Markup  (Read 10870 times)

Offline Tyrantmizar

System of Password Markup
« on: July 25, 2005, 07:31:50 PM »
This would primarily be for the default settings.

Currently if you want to change the default password, you have to edit the url used for each site you come across.  This can lead to tedious work if you have a crudload of passwords and you don't want to open a separate account for each one.  What I'm suggesting is a way around that tediousness.

What if you were to add a system of markup language that allows the user to create their own, er... algorithm (for lack of a better word).  I think the best way to say this would be by examples.

here would be some functions:

{URL} using the checked boxes
{USRNAME}
{COUNTER}
Etc.

Now what I'm proposing is that you be able to string them together:

For the URL to use:
Code: [Select]
whatever + {URL} + /For the password suffix:
{URL} + suffixOr for the Username:
tyrantmizar + {URL} + 8124 yeah!Heck, you could string all of these together for, say, the counter:
1 + {URL} + {SUFFIX} + 2005 + {USRNAME}Maybe add the ability to individually leetify each section (here's the prefix):
leet3({SUFFIX})Or limit the number of characters used:
{URL to5}Or loop a set number of times (would require the function be within the function, i.e. {URL} in the url to use form) (also, not sure about this one)
leet9({URL} + goolge.com)x3
I was very hesitant to suggest this for two main reasons: 1) It would (probably) involve a crapload of work on your part (I would be willing to help) and 2)None but the most advanced users would use any of this.

Tell me your thoughts on the feasiblity of this feature.
Tyrantmizar
- <a href="http://tyrantmizar.blogsome.com/">Check out my blog</a> (shameless plug :P)
- Lord of the Feature Requests / Enhancements Forum - BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
- Lord of the other one, the [url=http://forums.passwordmaker.o

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 07:51:46 PM »
Wow, very cool idea. You're right, it's a lot of work but definitely not insurmountable. My problem is how to prioritize all the requests I have... what's most important?

-Eric

Offline Tyrantmizar

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 09:37:28 PM »
It's rather difficult to prioritize your list of features when there is no real list.  All you currently have is a forum with a whole bunch of suggestions, some are the same, some can be remedied by the same feature, and its a mess.  I think your first priority should be to make a list for all to view so everyone can see if their "brilliant idea" has already been suggested.

That's just me though.  Personally, I would like this topic's feature very much, and would be willing to help on working out the details, bugs, dynamics, whatever.

[edit]Actually, I'll make the list, and make it into a poll, as suggested here.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 09:42:04 PM by Tyrantmizar »
Tyrantmizar
- <a href="http://tyrantmizar.blogsome.com/">Check out my blog</a> (shameless plug :P)
- Lord of the Feature Requests / Enhancements Forum - BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
- Lord of the other one, the [url=http://forums.passwordmaker.o

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 09:52:26 PM »
I'll make the list, and make it into a poll
That's a great idea. I'll pin it once you've posted it, so it always appears at the top of this forum. We can edit it as time goes by to add/remove items.

I think there's a limit to 25 items you can list in a poll right now, but I can increase it. Let me know if you need more. Also, do you think we should limit the poll to registered users? I'm wondering if someone can keep coming in as guest as voting for their feature over and over and over again...

edit: i've changed the limit to 100 items
edit: it seems guests can't vote in polls by default, anyway
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 11:07:46 PM by grimholtz »

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 09:52:26 PM »