Author Topic: Just a TIP . . .  (Read 34651 times)

LkonKbd

Just a TIP . . .
« on: April 26, 2007, 02:24:53 AM »
Greetings one and all from LeonSprings,Texas,

In the 'Other' Forum I had posted a little response to a gripe from another poster, find it here:

http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php?...t&p=1279698

It has to do with KeyLoggers and I find PWM the best for protecting you from that animal.  If you use a Memory stick or what ever you call the USB pocket saver then create you a little file with several lines of data, randomized or in order.  Then when the MPW is needed then open that file and high light the hidden password you hve within that long, short or jumbled group of characters Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V into PWM MasterPassword field and no typing is required.  Remove the file from whatever you opened it with and remove the MS from the USB port and all is not available.  I know it is not encrypted in that file but all of the other items are not there either that are needed to create your password, they are hidden within PasswordMaker's program.

Thank you for reading this,

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Just a TIP . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 03:04:03 AM »
There are other types of "keyloggers" that don't even log keystrokes. Instead, they take screenshots of the screen periodically and automatically upload those screenshots to the hacker. This kind of thing could take a screenshot of your text file as you are copy/pasting it.

Bottom line: if your PC is compromised, password theft should be the least of your worries!

LkonKbd

Just a TIP . . .
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 03:37:19 AM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
There are other types of "keyloggers" that don't even log keystrokes. Instead, they take screenshots of the screen periodically and automatically upload those screenshots to the hacker. This kind of thing could take a screenshot of your text file as you are copy/pasting it.

Bottom line: if your PC is compromised, password theft should be the least of your worries!

Thank you Eric, did not know keyloggers did that.  Then really those are NOT keyloggers, they are screen thieves, even though they do steal your info.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Just a TIP . . .
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 03:38:52 AM »
SOME keyloggers do that... not all. And you're right, keylogger isn't a good name for those that take screen-shots.

LkonKbd

Just a TIP . . .
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 07:14:14 AM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
SOME keyloggers do that... not all. And you're right, keylogger isn't a good name for those that take screen-shots.

"Eric,"

Thank you for this info, now get back to work.  Would it be easier to give us the ability to move the entries by drag and drop to keep thingys in alphabetical order instead of working on doing the sort automatically?  At least for now?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Just a TIP . . .
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 06:50:51 PM »
...I don't know... they're equally difficult.

LkonKbd

Re: Just a TIP . . .
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 04:00:21 PM »
OK, here is another 4 U if you don't like my last one.

When you have a need to open a new Browser Window, I use only FF v2.0.0.2, and PassWordMaker is requiring a new entry for your MasterPassWord, you can use the PWM box for the first Open Browser Window.  This is easiest if you are not using the "Default" for most of your passwords like a new Group for each PassWord required.  Just click on the + sign next to the group you are needing and hylite the entry for the website requiring the newest password.  Click on the 'Save to cilpboard' RB and paste it in the PW field in the next browser window along with the user name for that entry.

Thank you 4 reeding my PostyToasty,
LkonKbd
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 04:03:59 PM by LkonKbd »

LkonKbd

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 06:38:05 PM »
Here is another I just discovered, it may not be of any use to some or all, but; I find it very helpful.

If you do Custom PassWords like a new Group for each website that requires a UserName and PassWord combination then this may help a little.  Also it may also cause you some problems if you also use Default for some of your passwords.  The list of Groups is more than one screen full for myself, with them being in RandomAccessOrder it means I need to search for the one I need each time.  No, I do not use, very many anyway, of the AutoPopulate UserName and PassWord.  Still using my 'training wheels' so not fully able to complete those orders, yet.  Anyway to move the Default from the list, just HyLite it and rite click mouse button and move it to one of the other Groups, VOLA!! your list is shortened by one entry of Groups, Default has been moved to that new location.  You should select one of the entered Groups prior to moving Default so you will know where it is.

Not sure if any other can be done that way, but; Default will move.

Thank you for reading my PostieedToasties,

Offline tanstaafl

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 12:07:15 AM »
I would NOT recommend doing this - unless Eric says it won' cause any problems...

It seems to me like I remember reading something about this being a BAD idea...

Eric??

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 02:21:02 PM »
I would NOT recommend doing this - unless Eric says it won' cause any problems...

Eric??
Moving the Default account out of the top position is a BAD BAD BAD TERRIBLE IDEA. Don't do it. I lamely coded a lot of things such that the Default account is expected to be in position zero (i.e., th top-most position).

LkonKbd

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 02:50:26 AM »
Moving the Default account out of the top position is a BAD BAD BAD TERRIBLE IDEA. Don't do it. I lamely coded a lot of things such that the Default account is expected to be in position zero (i.e., th top-most position).

Too late, I had already done that before posting.  I do not use the default anyway, all of mine are of the custom type.  So if I have a problem that will probably be the cause.  So far all are doing just fine as frog hair.

I will not do that again, cannot do it again because I cannot move it back,

LkonKbd

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 02:23:15 AM »

Eric??

Eric my boy,

Have been using my PWM without the Default in the #1 position, so far not a problem for me anyway.  I think it may be just because I am not using any of the Default settings.  All approximately 25 accesses and maybe a total of close to 30 passwords are all in individual Custom Groups and Accounts.  Maybe as an added feature because of the fact I have moved that Default it would be even more troublesome for someone to attempt to Hack my passwords.  On top of that they probably could not even find it because it cannot be removed.

Are these valid assumptions?

Thank you for reading my PostyToasties,

LkonKbd

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 12:33:50 AM »
Anyone there that may know or can find out about the info I had posted in the previous message as LkonKbd.  Are those assumptions valid or way off in the wrong Galaxy?

Thank you for reading my requested poster,

Edited by LkonKbd > Thought, I know that is a mistake, I had changed my username on here, but; my user/name is different on each forum I hold membership (well most of them anyway).  One other point, my total accounts and passwords is now fifty-nine.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:40:01 AM by LkOnKbd »

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 12:33:50 AM »