Author Topic: Having trouble with the CoolKey  (Read 5284 times)

Offline maikur

• Normal Members
Having trouble with the CoolKey
« on: January 09, 2007, 06:30:33 AM »
ok, there may be a rather obvious solution to this, but it escapes me...

whenever I use CoolKey for a site, the password doesn't work, and no username is being providers either. I suspect this is because CoolKey is taking the default password.. but my pw for individual sites are also modified by usernames, whic h is not in the default parameter.

I do have auto-populate checked in the url setting.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 02:12:03 PM »
Are you saving your MP (Master Password)? If not, when you use the coolkey, you should see whether or not it is using the Defaults or your custom account. If it is using the defaults, then the problem is obviously with your pattern being used to match the domain.

Offline maikur

• Normal Members
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 07:31:29 PM »
Quote from: tanstaafl
Are you saving your MP (Master Password)? If not, when you use the coolkey, you should see whether or not it is using the Defaults or your custom account. If it is using the defaults, then the problem is obviously with your pattern being used to match the domain.

Okay, I think I've figured out the problem. With Coolkey, one must populate each domain name variation in the URL section of a particular account. Such as us.etrade.com, vs just etrade.com.  Without Coolkey, passwordmaker seems to recognize and produce the correct password no matter what variation of the etrade website name is, so long as I am in the etrade domain. With coolkey, you have to input the exact url variations for that account/

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 07:54:23 PM »
Quote from: maikur
Okay, I think I've figured out the problem. With Coolkey, one must populate each domain name variation in the URL section of a particular account. Such as us.etrade.com, vs just etrade.com.  Without Coolkey, passwordmaker seems to recognize and produce the correct password no matter what variation of the etrade website name is, so long as I am in the etrade domain. With coolkey, you have to input the exact url variations for that account/
Hmmm... this is actually not true. I use Alt-` all the time, which is the keyboard equivalent, and I have never noticed this.

Are you using the Coolkey button on the toolbar?

Oh... wait... I think I misunderstood. When you said "without Coolkey', did you mean "if I open Passwordmaker, then select the correct Account, then enter my MP..."? If so, then yes, this is the expected behavior.When you use PM manually like that, none of the URL pattern matching ever takes place - it simply assumes that you know what you are doing and that you have selected the correct Account, so PM just uses whatever is in the the 'Use the following URL...' box for that Account.

So, yes, if you want to take advantage of the automation PM offers, you'll have to set up your URLs correctly. Also, to avoid phishing attackes, it is high;y recommended that you NOT use any asterisks before the URL, and only use asterisks AFTER the trailing slash after the TLD. For example, don't put "*.trade.com*, use "http://etrade.com/*", then add any other variations that your site might use, like "https:www.etrade.com/*" and "http://us.etrade.com/*", etc - and that trailing asterisk is important...

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 07:54:23 PM »