Author Topic: different domain names and password generation  (Read 6236 times)

Offline maikur

• Normal Members
different domain names and password generation
« on: January 08, 2007, 09:03:53 AM »
Am I correct that "www.yahoo.com" and just "yahoo.com" will generate different passwords? and mail.yahoo.com will generate still another password?

If so, what effect does this have on certain websites that will re-direct to a mirror website with a slightly different url? For instance, typing Americanexpress.com will take you to this url: https://home.americanexpress.com/home/mt_personal.shtml

how to combat this issue?

thanks

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 11:14:11 AM »
Quote from: maikur
Am I correct that "www.yahoo.com" and just "yahoo.com" will generate different passwords? and mail.yahoo.com will generate still another password?
Yes...

If so, what effect does this have on certain websites that will re-direct to a mirror website with a slightly different url? For instance, typing Americanexpress.com will take you to this url: https://home.americanexpress.com/home/mt_personal.shtml
how to combat this issue?
This is what the 'URLs' tab (in the Advanced Options) is for. Here you can define as many different URLs as necessary to match on in order to generate the same password - because then the 'Use the following URL to calculate the password' would be the same. Click the 'Pattern Help' button for details on how to effectively use patterns.

If you haven't seen the Advanced Options yet, then we'll be happy to help you understand them. The online help, while very good, needs to be updated as PM has changed (for the better, I assure you!) quite a bit since the help files were created. It can be a little daunting at first, but it is well worth the effort - I truly cannot imagine life without PM at this point. I'm not a developer, just a user happy enough with PM to volunteer my time here in the forums to help others get the most out of it...

thanks
You're welcome, and welcome to the world of passwordmaker!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 05:33:46 PM by tanstaafl »

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 03:08:50 PM »
Also note that the default default settings (that is not a typo) only takes the domain name and not the subdomain name into effect when creating a password. With the second example, PWM will use americanexpress.com to generate the password.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 03:15:17 PM »
Quote from: miquelfire
Also note that the default default settings (that is not a typo) only takes the domain name and not the subdomain name into effect when creating a password. With the second example, PWM will use americanexpress.com to generate the password.
Eh??

You mean, if I explicitly enter 'noodles.forums.com' into the 'Use the following URL' box, it will only use 'forums.com'??

If so, that is BAD in my opinion... it should use precisely what is in that box.

This is why I suggested changing the word 'URL' to just 'string' - ie, 'Use the following STRING ...'

But if what you say is true, then this is a glaring omission...

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 03:30:12 PM »
The defaults, not accounts!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 03:30:35 PM by miquelfire »
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 05:29:52 PM »
Quote from: miquelfire
The defaults, not accounts!
Ahh... right...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 03:06:29 AM »
I'm not a developer, just a user happy enough with PM to volunteer my time here in the forums to help others get the most out of it...
Feel the love!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 05:33:30 PM by tanstaafl »

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 03:06:29 AM »