Author Topic: Donations  (Read 6972 times)

Offline trojanpony

Donations
« on: January 01, 2007, 03:51:51 PM »
I just finished backing up a bunch of files...something I don't do often enough.  I've done my share of bitching and moaning and groaning about this and that as related to PM (more to myself than on here) but I realized that this is unquestionabley the most complete and reliable PW program I've ever found and/or used.

The first time I saw it on HotScripts or where ever, I found it too complicated and quickly gave up.  A few months later I came back to it when looking for a PW program yet again and once again it sounded like exactly what I was looking for.  I remembered seeing it before so I told myself, self, you're not an idiot, take some time and figure this thing out.  PM had never been too complicated, I had just been too impatient.  I've been using it ever since.

I'm not one to donate freely (who is?) but I've been using this long enough that I figured it was time to make a contribution...and that's why I came here today.  Low and behold I find this unadvertised post in the forums discussing your out of pocket expenses for keeping this thing going.

Sooooo, it's not much...and I'm sure if I were actually buying software somewhere I'd be paying a lot more but I hope my little contribution helps..if just a little.  Finally, and ABOVE ALL, I'd encourage anyone who has been using PM for a while to get the crowbar out, pry open your wallet and make a contribution...I'm sure every little bit helps and it all adds up.  Besides, you guys deserve more than just covering expenses!

Thanks!

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Donations
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 06:01:37 PM »
Thank you so much for taking the time to write that. I have to be honest that lately I've been down on PasswordMaker because it seems like "the endless project", but reading posts like yours rejuvenate me.

I did take down the donate button because I had met expenses, but I've put it back so you or others can donate. I haven't made any money from PasswordMaker in the 2 or 3 years it's been around. Your donation, I believe, would be the first. You can find the donate button on at http://www.passwordmaker.org in the right-hand column under the SourceForge button.

-Eric
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 06:03:35 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Donations
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 03:30:45 AM »
So, you're just going to keep the button there for profit type reasons for a while, or is the ads from Google not meeting some expenses the rest of us may not know about?
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline trojanpony

Donations
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 02:35:33 PM »
Everyone wants something for nothing and then some of us just need an excuse to bitch.  Some of us are probably a little bitter that we've never done anything creative enough that others were willing to pay for it.  I take it, Miguel, that you use PM?  If you do and you have not contributed then why would you care if they make money off a google or any other ad? Or is it that you have contributed and resent that they make money off of the ad? Whatever the case, it's just like TV man: If you don't like the programming then change the freakin channel or turn the damn thing off, but don't sit there watching and then bitch about how bad the show is.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 02:53:10 PM by mrickb »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Donations
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 10:44:54 PM »
mrickb: Miguel has contributed significantly by helping to code and test the non-Firefox PasswordMaker editions.

So, you're just going to keep the button there for profit type reasons for a while, or is the ads from Google not meeting some expenses the rest of us may not know about?
I've earned the grand sum of a couple dollars from Google ads. I can remove the button if it bothers you, but yes, I was going to leave it for "profit type reasons"

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Donations
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 02:52:32 AM »
Keep the button, I don't mind. I'm sure you'll earn more money off that than the ads. BTW, you do remember about the SF donation thing right? And the fact the main site is hosted there.

BTW mrickb, I have contributed before money wise, and I contribute in other ways as well (code wise) to PasswordMaker. I only ask because Eric works in a way that he normally only has the donations open when there's some expense related to PasswordMaker that came up (like the license to these forums, the domain, etc.). I wonder if Eric had set up his account on SF to get donations? If you have Eric, opt in on the SF project.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 02:53:19 AM by miquelfire »
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Donations
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 05:02:13 AM »
I haven't set it up on SF.

PasswordMaker Forums

Donations
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 05:02:13 AM »