Author Topic: Different passwords generated  (Read 13381 times)

Offline stanorj

• Normal Members
Different passwords generated
« on: November 27, 2006, 02:43:02 PM »
The passwords generated by the yahoo widget version differ from that produced by the internet explorer beta and the on-line version using IE.

The master password is identical, as is the hash algorithm and required length, and all remaining fields are blank.  I have selected the default character set in widgets, and left the online sets untouched so I assume they are also the default set.

Any ideas where I might be in error?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 02:47:48 PM »
Which hash algorithm are you using?

Offline stanorj

• Normal Members
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 04:46:08 PM »
Quote from: stanorj
The passwords generated by the yahoo widget version differ from that produced by the internet explorer beta and the on-line version using IE.

The master password is identical, as is the hash algorithm and required length, and all remaining fields are blank.  I have selected the default character set in widgets, and left the online sets untouched so I assume they are also the default set.

I am using SHA-256 in all versions.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 09:12:35 PM »
HMAC-SHA-256 or SHA-256? This is very important.

Offline stanorj

• Normal Members
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 04:58:58 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
HMAC-SHA-256 or SHA-256? This is very important.

SHA-256

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 12:04:20 AM »
Well, then I suggest you check the character sets. 99% of the time people with the problem you're experiencing have different character sets specified in the different editions.

Offline stanorj

• Normal Members
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 10:43:13 AM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
Well, then I suggest you check the character sets. 99% of the time people with the problem you're experiencing have different character sets specified in the different editions.

I suspected that might be the trouble, but I had hoped there might be an easier solution. I will have to check the sets in detail.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Offline stanorj

• Normal Members
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 11:44:43 AM »
I suspected that might be the trouble, but I had hoped there might be an easier solution. I will have to check the sets in detail.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Further to my previous reply, and following your advice, I found that the Yahoo Widget version does not include a backslash "\" in the default character set.

I inserted it - after "]" (should it make any difference where it appears in the list)- and it now produces the same passwords as the other versions.

Thanks again.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 03:55:31 PM »
(should it make any difference where it appears in the list)-
Yes! The location in the list makes a big difference.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 03:55:31 PM »