Author Topic: Auto-fill arbitrary fields  (Read 15319 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Auto-fill arbitrary fields
« on: July 19, 2005, 11:07:31 PM »
Hi,
I have an early beta ready of PasswordMaker 0.8 with the ability to auto-populate any field on a website. If anyone would like to give it a try, let me know.

-Eric

Offline quixin

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 11:49:38 PM »
Yes please!   :D

Offline Romeo

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 12:51:22 AM »
Eric,

I would definately be interested in giving it a try.  Just send an email to my eddress.

Regards,

Romeo
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 01:00:58 AM »
Eric,

I've got your email, created a new profile and installed it.  Then, I copied passwordmaker.rdf to the new profile.  I set up the new fields and entered the information.  It's going to be great.

However, personally, I like to hit the window key on my computer, when the password box has focus and then just hit w to fill in the password.  I am not too crazy about the auto populate feature, although I can see how some people love it.  So, my request is that you make the other field, presumably the username, populate when one activates PM through the context menu, the right-click menu.

Also, since most of us participating in this test, know HTML reasonably well, it is not a problem to find out the field name to add in the other fields dialog.  However, it would be nice for the casual user to just be able to right-click the userid field and find out what the field name is.

Then, I've got one to stump you with.  My bank is a big bank and when I log in, it asks me for the user ID and the password, for which PM works great.  But, it also wants me to pick my state from a drop down box.  I am not sure if there is a way for you to make it such that this one populates also, when the other fields get populated.  If you could, it would be a very big help.

Regards,

Romeo

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 01:26:01 AM »
Hi Romeo,
Thanks very much for the comments.

Then, I've got one to stump you with. My bank is a big bank and when I log in, it asks me for the user ID and the password, for which PM works great. But, it also wants me to pick my state from a drop down box. I am not sure if there is a way for you to make it such that this one populates also, when the other fields get populated. If you could, it would be a very big help.
Yes, I'm planning to support all types of HTML input fields, including <select/>. I haven't tried the current build with <select/> but it should work. Just type the name of the select box and the value you'd like. Maybe it won't work, but I would be surprised.

Also, since most of us participating in this test, know HTML reasonably well, it is not a problem to find out the field name to add in the other fields dialog. However, it would be nice for the casual user to just be able to right-click the userid field and find out what the field name is
Well, I planned on something for this... I wrote about it in my email (not right-click but something similar)

However, personally, I like to hit the window key on my computer, when the password box has focus and then just hit w to fill in the password. I am not too crazy about the auto populate feature, although I can see how some people love it. So, my request is that you make the other field, presumably the username, populate when one activates PM through the context menu, the right-click menu.
Do you mean you'd like to right-click in the field and have a context-menu option to populate it? If so, I can do that... that's a good idea.

Regards,
Eric
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 01:26:52 AM by grimholtz »

Offline quixin

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 01:58:22 AM »
I really like the placement of a second button to hold other settings so the main interface doesn't get to crowded.  The more ideas that go around could eventually fill up the settings page fullscreen! So having a second window with other settings is ideal.  

The feature you're currently working on is excellent.  I will spend some more time with it for suggestions.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 02:09:19 AM »
Eric,

When I talk about the right-click menu, I thought it would be great if by right-clicking on the password box and pressing w, all the fields, which have been set up for population, would get populated.

The other issues, I was sure that you would know of a way to fix them.  I just thought that I would mention them anyway, so that you know that there is a need for them.

Keep up the great work.  This extension is just great and keeps getting better and better.

Regards,

Romeo

P.S.  I'll do some more testing tomorrow and let you know about how it goes.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 12:06:09 PM »
When I talk about the right-click menu, I thought it would be great if by right-clicking on the password box and pressing w, all the fields, which have been set up for population, would get populated.

Sounds like you're asking for a 'Manual Mode' for PM, the same thing I'm asking for in this thread:
http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php?showtopic=94

By the way...

How do I attach a hyperlink to a word in this forum - like, how do I make the word 'here' be a clickable hyperlink?

Thanks

Charles

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 12:07:13 PM »
Ooops, forgot...

Eric, I'd definitely like a copu of the 0.8 beta to test...

Thanks!

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 01:00:41 PM »
How do I attach a hyperlink to a word in this forum - like, how do I make the word 'here' be a clickable hyperlink?
You do that with what's called "BB Code" When you're typing a reply (not fast reply, but add reply), there's a link under "Clickable Smilies" which says "BB Code Help"... click that at you get a pop-up cheat-sheet with all the BB codes. I've also made a link them here (with BB code :))

BB Code Help

Offline Romeo

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 02:07:46 PM »
Correction: I said that the basic options dialog shows a blank PW box in the basic settings, which would be fine, but it shows the Asterisks, instead, which kind of defeats the purpose of this feature.

Then, this is probably just a minor fix.  I checked the tooltip help on the boxes/buttons and noticed the box titled 'When URL contains' does not have a tooltip.  Like I said, this is not a big deal, but for consistency reasons, that should probably be added.  As you can see, I've started nit picking, which means I can't find a lot more wrong with this release.

Romeo

P.S. the 'Show Asterisks' button doesn't have one, either.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 02:12:41 PM by Romeo »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 06:48:50 PM »
Hi Romeo,
I checked the tooltip help on the boxes/buttons and noticed the box titled 'When URL contains' does not have a tooltip.
Thanks, fixed it.

P.S. the 'Show Asterisks' button doesn't have one, either.
Interesting--it's there in the code. I'll have to look into that one further.

Thanks,
Eric

Offline Romeo

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2005, 02:46:30 AM »
Hi Eric,

I just remembered something about the arbitrary fields.  That is the drop down box, the state option, which we were talking about earlier, doesn't appear, after I logged in and come back after logging of.  It saves the state selected in a cookie.  I just thought that I would mention it as just another thing for you to consider.

BTW, how is that coming with the drop down boxes.  You said a while back that you had an idea on how to do it but that you hadn't tested it.  I hope it worked out the way you planned it, because that would be a cool addition to PM.

Regards,

Romeo

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2005, 07:09:41 PM »
Hi Romeo,
Can you try this?
Create an account for "When URL Contains" passwordmaker.org. Add field for name=states and value=ca. Then go to this test page. Does the drop-down auto-populate to California?

Thanks,
Eric
p.s. I'd try this myself but my current build isn't working with auto-fill
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 07:10:30 PM by grimholtz »

Offline Romeo

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2005, 07:41:10 PM »
Eric,

I wish I could say it worked.  However, it doesn't.  Even if I put the username as 12345 it won't populate that dield, either.  It didn't even ask me for the MPW.  Right after, though, I went to my bank and everything seems to work fine.

Also, in your form, it doesn't even give me the PM otion in the context menu.

There must be something different about the form, which you are sending me to.  Does this form work for you ?

I'll try some more and let you know.

Romeo   :(
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 07:43:12 PM by Romeo »

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2005, 07:41:10 PM »