Author Topic: PasswordMaker "Choose Account" Popup not working properly  (Read 4936 times)

Offline RotiJohn

PasswordMaker "Choose Account" Popup not working properly
« on: November 08, 2006, 12:59:54 AM »
Hi,

The problem:

I have several accounts on some sites. On those sites where I only use a single pattern (wildcard) under the "URLs" tab for each account and nothing defined under "Advanced Auto-populate", I do not get the "PasswordMaker - Choose Account" popup window when the site loads. On other sites where I have several accounts with several patterns defined under "URLs" as well as in "Advanced Auto-populate" the "PasswordMaker - Choose Account" window pops up as soon as the sites load. I find this behaviour inconsistent and inconvenient as I have to close the popup window everytime I visit these sites instead of having them pop up only when I use the Coolkey.

Please note that "Auto-Populate" is NOT enabled (unchecked) on all accounts. Additionally, as stated in another thread, I do not have the "Auto-Populate" option under "Defaults".

Would appreciate any clarification and help on what I think is a bug.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 01:36:03 AM by RJohn »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 11:31:40 AM »
Quote from: RJohn
Hi,

The problem:

I have several accounts on some sites. On those sites where I only use a single pattern (wildcard) under the "URLs" tab for each account and nothing defined under "Advanced Auto-populate", I do not get the "PasswordMaker - Choose Account" popup window when the site loads. On other sites where I have several accounts with several patterns defined under "URLs" as well as in "Advanced Auto-populate" the "PasswordMaker - Choose Account" window pops up as soon as the sites load. I find this behaviour inconsistent and inconvenient as I have to close the popup window everytime I visit these sites instead of having them pop up only when I use the Coolkey.

Please note that "Auto-Populate" is NOT enabled (unchecked) on all accounts. Additionally, as stated in another thread, I do not have the "Auto-Populate" option under "Defaults".

Would appreciate any clarification and help on what I think is a bug.

Thanks.
Hi RJohn,

Ok, I'm a little unclear on the specifics, but will explain the way it is supposed to work. It is more than likely a simply misunderstanding of how/why it works...

If you have more than one account defined, using the same URL pattern, and only have the auto-pop enabled for one of them, that one is enough to cause the 'Choose Account' to pop-up.

So, if you don't want auto-populate on a particular site, you have to disable it on all of the accounts that have that URL pattern defined.

Now, if this is the situation, and you are STILL getting prompted, it is either a conflict with another extension (most likely), a bug, or you're missing an auto-pop setting somwehere.

Speaking from experience, I'd suggest it is more likely to be the first or the latter. I have many accounts, and more than a few that have multiple (gmail, yahoo mail, etc) accounts defined, and I've never seen the problem - and I generally don't use auto-pop, so I would see this problem if it was a general bug.

The first and easiest thing to do is post your list of extensions, and we can point to the most likely culprits, and you can just try disabling them. Also, you might as well post the site(s) in question. Also, it always helps to post the platform OS and PWM versions...

Otherwise, if you are certain that you don't have auto-pop enabled on any of them, you'll have to do some troubleshooting... create a temporary clean mozilla profile (ask if you don't know how - it is easy, and you won't lose anything in your current profile), install ONLY PWM, add the accounts, and see if the problem persists.

If it does, then I guess it would have to be some kind of site specific bug, since this is not happening to me or anyone else, and Eric will have a look at the sites after someone else has verified the problem.

If the problem does NOT persist, then try COPYING (not moving) the passwordmaker.rdf file to the new profile, then test again. If the problem comes back, then it is something wrong with your RDF file. If not, then it i must be a conflict with another extension, so you could start installing them a few at a time and test in between.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 11:31:40 AM »