Author Topic: Conflict with WebmailCompose  (Read 7895 times)

Offline dcsohl

• Normal Members
Conflict with WebmailCompose
« on: October 16, 2006, 09:25:02 PM »
There is a conflict between Passwordmaker and WebmailCompose. WMC is an extension which intercepts "mailto:" requests and converts them into the mail composition page of whatever web-based mail service you may use.

When WMC is enabled, PasswordMaker intermittently flakes out in its "CoolKey" behaviour. I type in my master password into the CoolKey dialog box and absolutely nothing happens. Nothing gets logged either that I can determine.

If I have "Store master password" set, then the master password does not get set. The login form fields are left blank and I can CoolKey again and get the "enter master password" dialog again. Note that this is intermittent; after a couple of tries, the master password is recognized and after that point CoolKey works as expected -- with "Store master password set", I don't need to enter it again for the Firefox session.

I'm running PasswordMaker 1.6.1 (after upgrading; I saw this behaviour in 1.5.x also), and WMC 0.6.6 (the aforementioned site says it's 0.6.5 but when you install you should see it's actually 0.6.6).

Thanks for a great extension!

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 11:39:43 PM »
Hi Dan,

Can you please open the Javascript Console (Tools->Javascript Console on Windows FF 1.5.x), clear it with the "clear" button, then try the coolkey again? I'd like to see the errors reported by PasswordMaker. Please post them here.

thanks,
eric

Offline dcsohl

• Normal Members
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 04:38:07 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
Can you please open the Javascript Console (Tools->Javascript Console on Windows FF 1.5.x), clear it with the "clear" button, then try the coolkey again? I'd like to see the errors reported by PasswordMaker. Please post them here.

Like I said, nothing gets reported. Nothing appears in the Javascript Console or anywhere else that I can see. I hit ctrl-`, the coolkey dialog pops up, I type in my password, hit return and ... it's like I never did any of that. Well, about 50% of the time. Repeated attempts do eventually result in success. If I ask it to store the master password, once I've had one success everything is hunky-dory.

I've definitely tracked it down to WebmailCompose too -- with WMC deactivated, CoolKey works fine every time...

-=-Dan

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 05:20:04 PM »
Ok, I will install WebmailCompose and see what I can find.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 05:36:05 PM »
Seems SourceForge brought down passwordmaker.org again, so I can't test http://passwordmaker.org/proto/dan.html. Can you give me a URL where I can test this?

Offline dcsohl

• Normal Members
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 03:18:23 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
Can you give me a URL where I can test this?

Sure; I get it all the time from logging into Yahoo! Finance. At the top of that screen is a "Sign In" link that takes you to a log-in screen. This is where I first noticed it, and it seems to happen here more often than elsewhere, but it's far from the only place I've had issues.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 03:20:04 PM by Dan »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 10:07:34 PM »
Hi Dan,

I haven't been able to reproduce this yet at either http://passwordmaker.org/proto/dan.html or Yahoo! Finance. I'll continue to try... can someone else try, too? Note you have to install WebMailCompose according to Dan.

Offline dcsohl

• Normal Members
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 04:45:37 PM »
I've done more testing. It's definitely WebMailCompose causing the issue. I disabled every single other extension aside from WebmailCompose and PasswordMaker (including the various language packs I've accumulated along the way) and the issue was still there. I then deleted WMC and re-installed it, in case the order of installation mattered, and it doesn't.

It's not my OS, since I see this happening at home (I use Linux at work and we have a Windows machine at home)...

I'm at a loss, and I guess I'll just have to live with it since I'm not giving up either extension!  

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 07:01:17 PM »
You wouldn't have to live with it if I could just replicate the problem myself!

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 07:01:17 PM »