Author Topic: Different passwords online/plugin  (Read 6989 times)

Michael

Different passwords online/plugin
« on: July 15, 2005, 06:26:41 AM »
Hi folks,

something mysterious is happening, if I try to generate a password by plugin and online version.

This is the case: with md4, length 12, characterset 0123456789abcdef, url p2pworld.to and username freudenhaus I am generating two slightly different, but nevertheless different passwords.

The plugin is giving "647be2e9894b", online is giving "0647be2e9894". Any idea what the reason is?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 12:45:41 PM »
Hi Michael,

I'm looking into this and will get back to you later today.

Regards,
-Eric

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 11:55:37 AM »
Hello Michael,

I'm unable to reproduce this. Both the extension and the website give me the password c3da1dd9f15b with the criteria you mentioned. I tested with two different versions of PasswordMaker.

Could you a screenshot of the problem?

Thanks,
Eric

MikeH

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 03:07:39 PM »
I'm seeing the same thing: one password generated with the 0.7 FireFox plugin "3XfkO5ASb5Fc", and another "BiGzPCS1fTUW" from http://passwordmaker.org/passwordmaker.html

Settings:
Hash: MD5
Length: 12
Characters: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789
URL Components: Domain (https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLoginAuth)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 08:10:36 PM »
Hi Mike,

I can't reproduce this. Do you have l33t turned on (you didn't specify)? Username? Counter? Password prefix or suffix? I'm not getting the passwords you specified at all...but what I'm getting matches in the extension and on the website.

Please give me more info... a screenshot would be the best. You can upload a screenshot to imageshack.us and post a link to it here...

Thank you,
Eric

DodgeV83

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 08:16:25 PM »
It works good for me.  You guys are probably putting that whole long line into the Domain, instead of just "google.com"

Michael

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 08:43:52 PM »
Hi Eric,

thank you for your efforts and quick reply. I have tried it again with the new online interface and everything is okay. I can´t reproduce the error.

What I suppose is that the new online version solves the old matter.

Thank you very much and keep up your very good work.

Michael

MikeH

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 08:47:43 PM »
A couple of things:

When I went to reproduce this, I couldn't - so it was probably user error.

There were potentially two things that might have caused the confusion - one was the that I was using the entire URL in the HTML version as the previous poster mentioned.  I expected that checking "Domain" in the "URL Components" it would ignore everything but the domain.

Another potential problem that I noticed is that the "Generated Password" that is displayed on the main window and the one displayed in the "Accounts" "Settings" page can sometimes differ.  It seems to happen when I'm switching between tabs/instances of FireFox with different URLs.

Here's a screenshot of the same "Generated Password" with two different URLs (google.com in one window and passwordmaker.org in the other):

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9232/passwordmaker2nk.jpg

Mike.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 10:37:37 PM »
I expected that checking "Domain" in the "URL Components" it would ignore everything but the domain.
Yes, it should be doing that. If it's not, that's a bug. I'll take a closer look.

It seems to happen when I'm switching between tabs/instances of FireFox with different URLs.
Thanks. I'll work on this.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 10:37:37 PM »