Author Topic: Mac OSC, Cool Key  (Read 7118 times)

Offline sfatula

• Normal Members
Mac OSC, Cool Key
« on: September 02, 2006, 10:23:13 PM »
Ok, I will call this a bug only because it works different on Mac OSX and Windows XP. I would hope the Windows XP behaviour is correct.

The first time I go to a site, and, hit option` (cool key) to make the password appear, I simply get a ` in the user name box on ANY web site on Mac OSX. On Windows XP, it asks me for the master password and then fills in the correct info.

AFTER the first time (I have to pick cool key off the menu on Mac OSX), Mac works perfectly.

Replicated on 4 Macs, all with current Firefox. Windows XP machine also has current Firefox.

Is there something I am missing, or, can this be changed on OSX? It's slightly annoying.

Steve
Talkswitch Phone Systems

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Mac OSC, Cool Key
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 07:51:50 PM »
Hi Steve,

If you've saved the master password to disk, you'll never be prompted for it--regardless of operating system. Can you check to see if it's been saved to disk on the OS/X machines? If so, remove it (by clearing out the master password field) and try again... you should be prompted for it.

Offline sfatula

• Normal Members
Mac OSC, Cool Key
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 02:36:08 AM »
No, I have not saved it do disk. It does *exactly* as I said. If I go to a site after just starting Firefox, and, that site requires a password from passwordmaker, and, I do not auto populate it, I hit ctrl`, on Windows, all our machines correctly come up with a screen to enter our master password and then fill in the user and password as they should., On all of our Macs, it does not, it simply puts ` in the field I am in, say, user.

So, on all our machines, store master password is set to "in memory". Action to take when coolkey is pressed is of course "populate all fields" which is what it does AFTER the first use on Mac for which we MUST select cool key off of the menu.

You cannot hit the coolkey shortcut on Mac OSX first time, Firefox. On any of our 4 Macs.

Any ideas?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Mac OSC, Cool Key
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 02:20:28 PM »
Well, I don't have a Mac on which to test. Is it possible the control-` is mapped to one of the other special keys on Mac? Like Option-` or Alt-` or Apple-` or something else? The other thing you should try is using the MenuEditor extension to remap that key to something else.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 02:21:30 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline sfatula

• Normal Members
Mac OSC, Cool Key
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 03:18:40 PM »
Ok, it works EVERY TIME except the first time. So, it is not mapped to something else else it would not work. I did check. The coolkey works only after the first time when I have to select it from the menu. It's not control`, it's alt (option on Mac) `

Can the coolkey be changed in passwordmaker to experiment?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Mac OSC, Cool Key
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 03:32:28 PM »
PasswordMaker doesn't natively support changing of the key without editing the source code, but you can use the MenuEditor extension to change the key to anything you like.

PasswordMaker Forums

Mac OSC, Cool Key
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 03:32:28 PM »