Author Topic: PasswordMaker 1.6 beta 2 for Frfx/Moz/Netscp/Flock  (Read 21607 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker 1.6 beta 2 for Frfx/Moz/Netscp/Flock
« on: September 16, 2006, 05:04:30 PM »
Hi,

PasswordMaker for Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape/Flock version 1.6 beta2 has been released. You can get it here. Please note that Firefox's extension manager will report this version as 1.5.1. This is so you will automatically be upgraded to 1.6 after it's finalized. The about dialog, however, displays 1.6 beta 2.

Thanks,
Eric

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 01:17:22 AM »
Need some feedback. Does it work? Does it upgrade smoothly from 1.5.1, keeping auto-populate intact? I'd like to finalize 1.6 ASAP.

Thanks,
Eric

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 01:30:22 AM »
MAJOR bug. Can't enter new urls at all! All I see are the line to enter what url to use for hasing, and the checkbox for autopopulate.

Tested with Firefox 2 Beta 2
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 02:43:40 AM »
It's not a bug. The URL patterns are hidden unless you check the autopopulate checkbox. They're hidden because they don't apply unless you want autopopulate on.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 02:43:54 AM by Eric H. Jung »

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 03:01:22 AM »
So, when I hit coolkey, and no patterns are defined, it won't be selected?

I'm actually don't use autopopulate at all, just Cool Key.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 03:06:08 AM by miquelfire »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 03:19:31 AM »
So, when I hit coolkey, and no patterns are defined, it won't be selected?
What is meant by "it" in that sentence? In any case, I sort of forgot that the patterns apply to coolkey, too, not just auto-populate. With that in mind, I'll make it so the patterns are always visible--regardless of whether or not the auto-populate checkbox is selected. However, please test otherwise that everything is working as you expected. Thanks for pointing that out!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 03:20:10 AM by Eric H. Jung »

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 05:01:40 AM »
Err, meant to type account.

Everything else I tested works just fine. I copied my current passwordmaker.rdf file to the test profile, and it appeared to have converted the wildcards correctly.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 02:17:48 PM »
Awesome. Maybe I'll wait for feedback from one other person (tanstaafl? thirbros? anyone else?) before submitting it to addons.mozilla.org with the final changes I made.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 03:18:28 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
Awesome. Maybe I'll wait for feedback from one other person (tanstaafl? thirbros? anyone else?) before submitting it to addons.mozilla.org with the final changes I made.
Everything works fine for me here... but I don't have my old rdf file (I forgot to save my old rdf before updating on this computer) to test how the conversions works. Other than that, all sites tested work fine - and I LOVE the work done allowing the editing of URLs to match, and the integration of the pattern help.

Eric, I would say that you have outdone yourself - but I'd be wrong, you have simply continued your excellent work on the best thing to happen to the internet since broadband.

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 12:10:27 AM by tanstaafl »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 04:43:06 PM »
Thanks for the compliments. 1.6 submitted to AMO at 12:40 EST 17-09-06. With any luck, they'll approve it today and everyone will get the update quickly.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 04:43:37 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline thibros

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 07:47:15 PM »
Hi. I installed it, so far everything is fine, just one thing I don't like:
My account was converted to "*https://www.[...]foo*" which works, but the leading * isn't needed in this case. "https://www.[...]foo*" works too. Although I've never seen a phishing site yet that has https in the middle anywhere, do I guess it doesn't matter that much. Just a hint for the 2.0 release.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 12:59:06 AM »
Yeah, I didn't go crazy with the conversion. I just did a basic conversion to get it working so people weren't inconvenienced when upgrading. However, if you rely on auto-populate or CoolKey heavily, you should go through your accounts manually to lock them down with more concise patterns.

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 02:01:01 AM »
Yeah, I didn't go crazy with the conversion. I just did a basic conversion to get it working so people weren't inconvenienced when upgrading. However, if you rely on auto-populate or CoolKey heavily, you should go through your accounts manually to lock them down with more concise patterns.
Perhaps you would be kind enough to explain that? Or perhaps you would explain more fully what happens when one installs 1.6 when the user has been using 1.5.1?

Why do I ask? Well, if one reads what you posted, it would appear that existing passwords are changed when one installs 1.6 in place of 1.5.1. If that is so, then how can one continue to use PWM?

I'm not at all certain that what you said is what you meant, but the statement about "...a basic conversion..." certainly says, at least in English (rather than `computerese') that there are some substantial changes made when updating to PWM 1.6. IF that is so, then I'd certainly want to know first what is going to happen to my existing passwords, for which I do use auto-populate and, when necessary, CookKey, and I'd want to know the details of any such changes before I update.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 02:24:08 AM »
Hi John,

By "conversion", I did not mean "password conversion". I meant conversion of the old field When URL Contains to the new URL patterns. Yes, the passwordmaker.rdf file is modified permanently (and not backwards-compatible with old versions of PasswordMaker) for this conversion. The conversion is as follows:

All When URL Contains fields are converted a wildcard pattern surrounded by asterisks. For example, if you have a When URL Contains field for an account defined as "mail.google.com", 1.6 converts this to the wildcard pattern "*mail.google.com*". Does that make sense?

Perhaps I should make this clear on the download page? It's important for people who use PasswordMaker on multiple PCs with a single RDF file because one you upgrade one installation, you must upgrade all.

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 10:10:30 AM »
Hi John,

By "conversion", I did not mean "password conversion". I meant conversion of the old field When URL Contains to the new URL patterns. Yes, the passwordmaker.rdf file is modified permanently (and not backwards-compatible with old versions of PasswordMaker) for this conversion. The conversion is as follows:

All When URL Contains fields are converted a wildcard pattern surrounded by asterisks. For example, if you have a When URL Contains field for an account defined as "mail.google.com", 1.6 converts this to the wildcard pattern "*mail.google.com*". Does that make sense?

Perhaps I should make this clear on the download page? It's important for people who use PasswordMaker on multiple PCs with a single RDF file because one you upgrade one installation, you must upgrade all.
Thanks, that's much clearer--and yes, this information should be on the download page.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 10:10:30 AM »