Author Topic: Extra security trick  (Read 27934 times)

Offline owlbebak

Extra security trick
« on: June 17, 2006, 03:02:45 AM »
Not sure if this trick has been posted somewhere or not, but this is something I do to make passwordmaker even more secure.
When I set up my password  at the webpage I let it generate my password as normal, but then I manually type in an extra character. By doing this, even if someone were to learn my secret master password and gain access to passwordmaker they would not know what the extra secret character is and be able to log in to pages.

Also, if you were to share passwordmaker with another person on a computer and they are given the master password  for convenence so they can access shared accounts, you can use this method for any special accounts that  only you want to have access to.

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Extra security trick
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 03:18:25 AM »
Interesting. Nice little trick you have there.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Extra security trick
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 03:21:12 AM »
Very nice. Good thinking!!

Offline thibros

Extra security trick
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 11:58:27 PM »
That's a nice way. I wouldn't give my master password to anyone, though. I'd have a different master password for shared accounts, probably.

Talking about changing/adding characters, I used to have 'snippets' of little passwords which are easy to remember (like th1 or 59 or WILL) and for different sites I use some of them in a different order. In my password manager I'd only store the first letter of each snippet, it'd look like t**W***5* and I'd know which snippet I used in which order, in case I forgot. I wouldn't forget the snippets, though. Someone getting access to the password manager wouldn't know that my password would be th1WILL59.

Offline tanstaafl

Extra security trick
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 11:56:51 AM »
Wow... excellent idea! Added to the short list - thanks owlbebak...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 11:58:09 AM by tanstaafl »

LkonKbd

Extra security trick
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 03:34:24 AM »
Yes that is a very good idea, also you can go the other way on certain sites, of your choosing, after creating the password for that site remove one character either from the first of the password, middle, end or where ever you feel is the one you want to remove.  In the notes or where ever you like to store which character is removed save this number.

This is a little more confusing, but; for your important links like a bank account, stock market account or just to keep others lost as to what has happened.

Offline johncoths

• Normal Members
Re: Extra security trick
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 04:49:34 PM »
I guess, for me, I just keeping my bank account information secret and making sure that those site that I am filling my information could be reliable and trusted.

PasswordMaker Forums

Re: Extra security trick
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 04:49:34 PM »