Author Topic: Misidentification of Fields  (Read 7999 times)

Offline John Liebson

Misidentification of Fields
« on: August 06, 2006, 04:20:39 PM »
I am able to log on to Wells Fargo automatically using PasswordMaker.

However, I have found a problem:

If I go to the "Change Email Address" page, there are four blanks, none of which are listed in my password setup for Wells Fargo, fields such as "primaryEmailAddress." PasswordMaker fills in all four such blanks with my userid; `userid' is a blank on the log-in page, and PasswordMaker correctly inserts my user id into the blank on the log-in page.

What I cannot figure out is why PasswordMaker also inserts my userid into the blanks such as primaryEmailAddress; as I cannot figure out why this is done, I cannot figure out how to prevent it.

Offline offroadsooner

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 09:28:43 PM »
I think the easiest way to ensure that you do not populate on any page but the login page is to set--under the account--WHEN URL CONTAINS to the specific url listed (e.g., https://www.login.east.com) on the login page instead of something generic (e.g., bank.com).  

Making that change will take care of the autopopulation on the other page.  I've had the same problem in the past.

Brad

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 09:49:54 PM »
Brad, thanks very much. I was just getting ready to do some experimenting with this, and your message, received perhaps fifteen minutes ago, was quite appropriate. Your timing is exquisite; of course, that must mean that your timing used to be "quisite"....

The log-on page is https://wellsfargo.com, which changes to //(xxx).wellsfargo.com.

So, I changed the 'When URL contains" from wellsfargo.com to https://wellsfargo.com, logged on, and that worked. All part of the learning process for using PasswordMaker effectively.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 04:39:59 AM »
Glad to hear it worked out!

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 10:21:38 AM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
Glad to hear it worked out!
So am I, of course. Any idea, however, as to why the problem existed?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 02:22:16 PM »
PasswordMaker makes educated guesses about userid and password fields unless you "train it" using the Advanced Auto-Populate tab. If you use Advanced Auto-Populate, only the specific fields you define are auto-populated. Otherwise, PasswordMaker guesses as best it can. The HTML names of the fields it populated must have matched its guessing algorithm.

Offline John Liebson

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 02:36:15 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
PasswordMaker makes educated guesses about userid and password fields unless you "train it" using the Advanced Auto-Populate tab. If you use Advanced Auto-Populate, only the specific fields you define are auto-populated. Otherwise, PasswordMaker guesses as best it can. The HTML names of the fields it populated must have matched its guessing algorithm.
Okay, if are going to provide meaningful explanations, and thereby ruin my day.... (Oh, yes, I suppose I should, and therefore will, say, "Thank you."

Another, albeit somewhat unrelated question, but related to my learning process about PasswordMaker: Am I correct in believing that there is no way of changing the master password without that process changing all the site-specific passwords as well, given that the hashing uses the master password to create the site-specific ones?

I ask as, when I started to use PasswordMaker, I inserted a rather lengthy master password, which was not a problem given that, at the time, I had little on my computer that would have concerned me about security had the machine been stolen, used by an intruder, or perhaps been subjected to national security audits...).

Since then, I've expanded my computer on-line use as I've finally obtained DSL service, making such things as on-line banking more feasible. Thus, I'd like to change the master password to something simpler and not have it stored on-disk and in memory. Any possibility of doing that?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 03:12:48 PM »
Hi John,

Many others have asked about this in other threads, and there is a feature request to handle it more elegantly. Firstly, yes, if you change your MPW then all the generated passwords will change.

However, you can avoid the generated passwords changing by once again using AutoPopulate: copy the current generated password into the AutoPopulate tab's password field. Now PasswordMaker essentially ignores the (new) generated password and instead uses whatever you copied into that field. In this way, you can change the master password but still use legacy generated passwords. It can be tedious if you have a lot of accounts, but this is the best way with PasswordMaker 1.5.2.

HTH,
Eric

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 03:32:11 PM »
Where is this 1.5.2 version you keep talking about?
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 03:52:32 PM »
I mean 1.5.1.  
By the way, miquel, I have a lot of code for 1.5.2 (actually, I think I'm going to call it 1.6 because it's new features--not bug fixes) that I haven't yet checked into SVN.

Offline offroadsooner

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 07:16:58 PM »
Will there be an option for a 1.6 beta to test?

Brad
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 07:18:29 PM by Brad »

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 07:32:22 PM »
Don't see why not. Right now, the code that's in SVN is labeled as broken due to a new feature being added.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 10:36:04 PM »
1.6 will most definitely be available as a beta first. Thanks for asking (and volunteering!)

Offline offroadsooner

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 10:41:43 PM »
I'm willing a ready whenever 1.6 beta is released.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:42:08 PM by Brad »

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 10:41:43 PM »