Author Topic: Changing charset requirements  (Read 5251 times)

Offline dmd

• Normal Members
Changing charset requirements
« on: July 25, 2006, 07:12:39 PM »
How do people deal with the fact that sites have different character set requirements? I.e., some sites *require* passwords to contain letters, numbers, and symbols, whereas some sites *require* passwords to NOT contain any symbols.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 07:58:29 PM »
Hi dmd,

Can't you just change the character set  in PasswordMaker to accomodate the site's requirements?

Offline dmd

• Normal Members
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 08:02:24 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
Can't you just change the character set  in PasswordMaker to accomodate the site's requirements?

But then you have different settings for different sites, which seems to me to completely remove the utility of something like passwordmaker!

I thought the point was that all you had to know was one password. It seems rather that what you really have to know is "one password - and, for each site, what specific settings were used".

Offline offroadsooner

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 09:04:30 PM »
Hi dmd,

You can create a new account for each of the websites that have different requirements and then when you attempt to login the particular account will come up (if you have autofill enabled) or will be used if you choose passwordmaker or use the coolkey.

Setting up accounts is fairly straightforward--doing so allows for all kinds of different account types and no need to change the settings manually each time you visit a particular website.

Good Luck...there's great help to be had here.  

Brad
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 09:07:06 PM by Brad »

Offline dmd

• Normal Members
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 09:40:26 PM »
Quote from: Brad
You can create a new account for each of the websites that have different requirements and then when you

That seems to defeat the purpose for me - I don't have one fixed computer that I use - I can only use an online version.

I think the solution for me is to use A-Za-z0-9, and just prepend the same nonalphabetic character on sites that I know require one.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 11:37:02 PM »
Hi dmd,

If you have another suggestion as to how to make this work so it's more convenient, we're all ears...

One thing the PasswordMaker team likes to pride itself on is its openness to new ideas.

Offline offroadsooner

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 02:15:10 AM »
Quote from: dmd
I don't have one fixed computer that I use

I have the same issue and I have a USB Flash Drive on which I have put portable firefox with the PasswordMaker extension with each of my accounts.  If you are really worred about the RDF settings being stolen on a flash drive then you could manually encrypt it with axcrypt (I have done this and can help) or make a true crypt partition on the drive (I've never done this).

At least to me using the online version is a LAST resort becuase of the manual settings...

Brad
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:16:54 AM by Brad »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 12:08:29 PM »
Another option would be to go vote for the Feature Requests that fit your needs... in this case, the Sync Settings request seems to best fit what you are asking for...

You get 5 votes, so feel free to vote for as any others that jump out at you...

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 12:08:29 PM »