Author Topic: Simplify?  (Read 7681 times)

Offline Luhmann

Simplify?
« on: March 26, 2006, 07:09:35 AM »
One of my problems is that different sites have different requirements: some need you to change passwords regularly, others need passwords of a specific length, others disallow certain characters, and the nature of what is allowed as a username changes quite a bit as well. This means that even a solution like PasswordMaker is far from perfect, since I have to remember all this other information as well - especially if I wish to access my accounts from a computer other than the one in which I've installed this plugin.

Any suggestions on how I can further simply my life so that this is less of a problem?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Simplify?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 02:11:50 PM »
Hi Luhmann,

You'll soon be able to store your settings on a server and use it with the online version. I encourage you to vote for these features in the feature request list.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 02:12:07 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline morguns

Simplify?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 12:58:03 AM »
... since I have to remember all this other information as well....
you don't _have_ to customize all the different options for all your usernames and passwords. if you are willing to sacrafice some security for simplicity, just use the same hash, leet level, etc. and use only alphanumeric (numbers and letters) characters for all passwords.

Offline Luhmann

Simplify?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 01:19:23 AM »
Quote from: morguns
you don't _have_ to customize all the different options for all your usernames and passwords. if you are willing to sacrafice some security for simplicity, just use the same hash, leet level, etc. and use only alphanumeric (numbers and letters) characters for all passwords.

But that's not really possible. Some places might not allow non alpha-numeric symbols. Others might require different lengths. And, of course - username requiremends vary greatly. I also need to remember whether the password is based on just the domain, or whether some other information is required, as might sometimes be the case.

Point being that as great as this software is, I still find myself having to write down a lot of information and saving it somewhere...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Simplify?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 01:26:26 AM »
I still find myself having to write down a lot of information and saving it somewhere...
That's not really because of PasswordMaker, but because of the multitude of different password/username requirements. But your point is taken, and we're making every effort to make the software more valuable. PLEASE vote in the Feature Request List for your favorite ideas, or submit your own ideas if they're not there.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Simplify?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 04:12:32 PM »
Quote from: Luhmann
But that's not really possible. Some places might not allow non alpha-numeric symbols. Others might require different lengths. And, of course - username requiremends vary greatly. I also need to remember whether the password is based on just the domain, or whether some other information is required, as might sometimes be the case.

Point being that as great as this software is, I still find myself having to write down a lot of information and saving it somewhere...
But you shouldn't have to write it down, this is what Custom Accounts are for. You can simply email your RDF file (or store it on your own FTP server if available) to yourself, then install PWM on the computer, then copy your RDF file to your Profile directory, and you're good to go.

It will, of course, be a very good thing once the 'Sync Settings' is available - this will simply greatly using more than one computer, especially when the Sync'd settings also Sync with the on-line settings.

Charles

Quote from: Luhmann

Also, if you are simply wanting to keep a hard copy of all of the specific Account stuff, something that you're maybe missing:

Open PWM - File -> Print Settings

Charles

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Simplify?
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 04:20:16 PM »
Quote from: tanstaafl
It will, of course, be a very good thing once the 'Sync Settings' is available - this will simply greatly using more than one computer, especially when the Sync'd settings also Sync with the on-line settings.

Either I'm missing something when you say 'Sync Settings' or you're using a version before 1.4
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Simplify?
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 04:36:30 PM »
Quote from: miquelfire
Either I'm missing something when you say 'Sync Settings' or you're using a version before 1.4
Currently, the ability to Upload/Download does not fulfill the requirements for the 'Sync Settings' Feature Request.

But I could have been a little clearer... what I mean is when it is all automated/automatable. For example, when I can set PWM to automatically upload my Settings to a Central Server after changes are made, and to automatically download my Settings FROM a Central Server if it contains any new changes.

But, mainly, the ability to Sync with the on-line version will do this, as long as it can be automated.

As has been discussed in the past, I really do see this as a great way for Eric to be able to generate some cash flow for his efforts - provide a paid option for users to auto-sync their settings with the online version. Then, all the User needs to do is set up each computer to do this, and it automagically keeps all of your computers in sync.

There is lots of room for error, so I know Eric will want to take his time and get this right.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Simplify?
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 07:20:16 PM »
This will happen. Give me time

PasswordMaker Forums

Simplify?
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 07:20:16 PM »