Author Topic: Not Detecting All Possible Name Fields  (Read 18398 times)

Offline trephin

Not Detecting All Possible Name Fields
« on: October 11, 2005, 12:31:57 AM »
Ok.  This is me being very lazy and not searching beyond 1 page for this answer....

I presume there is some difficulty trying to identify all possible username fields on websites.  on airline pages, PM is not able to correctly identify the username field for say, the frequent flyer miles login;  it finds the password field correctly.

ie, on usairways, the username is filled in for both first and last names in the boarding pass section but the password in the dividend miles section leaving account blank

ie, at delta, the password field is found but nothing is added as a username

i suppose the fields are called something else which is the problem and you certainly cannot attempt to know all tags/fields

is there a key shortcut to add the username alone someplace if the field cannot be located?  if not, maybe it should be requested
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 12:32:43 AM by trephin »

Offline quixin

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 12:54:21 AM »
This was discussed before,  all form fields can be added, we just need to get the name of the field, report it to Eric and he can add it.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 01:40:51 AM »
Those sites probably embed the fields in a frame, which passwordmaker isn't handling right now. I'll fix that shortly. i'll check out delta, but I really didn't understand what you wrote about usairways.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 11:12:53 AM »
Hey Eric,

How about a 'Report Bad Username / Password form fields' Topic, pinned in the bugs forum? Then people can post URLs where these are not found properly by PM, and whenever you wanted to update PMs ability to find these, you'd have a bunch of examples to work with.

I'd be happy to post the message, so I can keep a short list (all of the ones people report, but on one page) for you if you want...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 04:07:53 PM »
I'd be happy to post the message, so I can keep a short list (all of the ones people report, but on one page) for you if you want...
That would be most helpful. Please go for it!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 07:54:18 PM »
trephin,

I have started a Topic specifically to track these so Eric can fix them.

Would you be so kind as to report the full URL for the ones you know are not being detected properly here?

Thanks

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 07:55:50 PM »
Eric,

I created it in the Help and Support forum - couldn't decide on it or the bugs forum... if you think it belongs more in the bugs forum, please feel free to move it...

Offline trephin

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 01:32:20 AM »
Those sites probably embed the fields in a frame, which passwordmaker isn't handling right now. I'll fix that shortly. i'll check out delta, but I really didn't understand what you wrote about usairways.
Hi Eric

I didnt want to clutter the new thread with this

you have usairways.com correct

on that page, the password gets entered in the password/PIN field in the top left corner under Dividend Miles

the username gets entered into the First Name and the Last Name fields in the right lower side under Print Boarding Pass;  the username is filled in twice - both as the first and last names

the "username" field should be the field next to the password "PIN" field and is labeled "account"
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 01:32:59 AM by trephin »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 01:51:30 AM »
Thanks, got it. I've already fixed delta.com for the next release (and tested it). USAirways, however, uses a non-standard HTML name for their username input box. Do you know HTML? If you do, goto their site and view the HTML source. You'll see:

Code: [Select]
<input type="text" name="AdvNum" maxlength="11" size="9" style="width:100px;">I assume AdvNum stands for advantage number. I'm hesitant to include this in the master search list because every item I add in the list slows things down for people who use auto-populate, and "advantage number" is pretty specific to US Airways. The list right now searches for input boxes named:
  • ID
  • un
  • name
  • user
  • usr
  • log
  • email
  • mail
  • acct
(The last one, acct, was added for delta.com). Most of these were gleaned from the BugMeNot firefox extension. I'd consider adding account, too, if we find websites which use it.

You'll still be covered, though. Once I finish auto-populate arbitrary fields -- just on the horizon! -- you'll be able to automatically populate ANY field you like, regardless of its HTML name. You just have to "train" PasswordMaker once--by clicking on the input box you want auto-populated--and tell PasswordMaker what value to put there, and it does the rest.

the username gets entered into the First Name and the Last Name fields in the right lower side under Print Boarding Pass; the username is filled in twice - both as the first and last names
Yeah, this is because all of those fields' HTML names match one or more of the names listed above...that behavior will go away once auto-populate arbitrary fields is complete.

-Eric

Offline Romeo

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 01:59:10 AM »
You'll still be covered, though. Once I finish auto-populate arbitrary fields -- just on the horizon! -- you'll be able to automatically populate ANY field you like, regardless of its HTML name. You just have to "train" PasswordMaker once--by clicking on the input box you want auto-populated--and tell PasswordMaker what value to put there, and it does the rest.
Eric, you do know that some web site might have two or more fields, which have the same name.  As far as I know, from my own experience,  upon submit they will become: same name,same name,same name...

Just thought I would throw that in for you to consider, or not.
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline trephin

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 02:59:41 AM »
Hi Eric

Thanks for the reply... the arbitary option is what we are looking for... as I originally posted, I certainly wouldnt expect to have every field named, particularly at the cost of speed

well, another FRL item that we are looking forward to crossing out

:-)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 05:41:55 AM »
Eric, you do know that some web site might have two or more fields, which have the same name. As far as I know, from my own experience, upon submit they will become: same name,same name,same name...
Yep. Those fields will be auto-populated with the same values. If you want to change them, you'll have to do that manually after auto-populate.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 01:24:16 PM »
Yep. Those fields will be auto-populated with the same values. If you want to change them, you'll have to do that manually after auto-populate.
Not that this is too much of a problem, but I guess PM will not be able to find out the tab order, which is, I would expect, the sequense in which the values appear in the array, correct?
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 03:26:03 PM »
I guess PM will not be able to find out the tab order
Unfortuntaely, no.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 03:26:03 PM »