Author Topic: Password not working . . .  (Read 10228 times)

'LkonKbd'

Password not working . . .
« on: October 03, 2005, 09:35:08 PM »
Greetings from LeonSprings, Texas,

I think I should remove all of PasswordMaker and start over again.  I have selections for user names and passwords, that I created to learn how to use this software and then deleted them from the 'Advanced Options' window and they are still appearing.  Plus, my passwords are not working, even requested they send my password about 22 minutes ago and NOTHING yet.  Just before starting this message made another request and that has been about 10 minutes ago and still NOTHING.

I have entered my username and password manually and they still do not work.

Another item, if I may, in the 'Advanced Options' window 'Global Settings' when checking the selection for 'Show the contents of password fields with asterisks on webpages' the passwords are NOT shown with asterisks, they are visible.  I unchecked that selection and they are now hidden with asterisks.

CU L8R,
'LkonKbd'

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 10:41:38 PM »
Hi LkonKbd,

I think I should remove all of PasswordMaker and start over again.
Uninstalling PasswordMaker doesn't remove your settings (this is a safety feature just in case you or someone else accidentally removes PasswordMaker and then changes his mind). You need to manually delete the settings file, called passwordmaker.rdf. From the FAQ:

Where is account information and other settings stored?

Everything is stored in %ProfileDirectory%/passwordmaker.rdf. If you don't know where your profile directory is, look here.

Make sure to restart Firefox after you delete this file. It is automatically recreated (with defaults) next time you start.

Hope that helps,
Eric
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 10:41:52 PM by Eric H. Jung »

LkonKbd

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 02:23:03 AM »
"Eric"

This has been a nightmare this evening.  None of my passwords are working even the one for PasswordMaker Forums.  I have finally mangaged to get this access back, after about 2 hours of waiting.  My ISP has a very aggressive SPAM blocker and for some reason it has blocked my messages from PasswordMaker and delayed my receiving of the message to change my password, finally arrived.

Did you see this?  ". . .Another item, if I may, in the 'Advanced Options' window 'Global Settings' when checking the selection for 'Show the contents of password fields with asterisks on webpages' the passwords are NOT shown with asterisks, they are visible. I unchecked that selection and they are now hidden with asterisks."  With that box unchecked my passwords are now hidden.

'LkonKbd'

LkonKbd

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 03:14:14 AM »
"Eric"

You are something else, with all the different systems on which this can be used and you send me to the correct place even though my system is too old to even be considered DEAD or forgotten.

If I wore a HAT 'I would take my hat off to you' and all of the other HELPers you have there or on this Forum.

As stated before, I wll conduct the TESTing tomorrow.  Just had to look and see if I could find the '.rdf' file, I did.

"tanstaafl"

You may have hit on something when you mentioned, "How long have you been using PM? If you've been using it for a while, could it be some kind of corruption in the RDF file caused by changes to PM over its different versions? Maybe the Account was created in an older version, and deleted in a newer?"  I will check into this possibility of creation and deletion being over different versions of PasswordMaker.  Wll get back to you on this, later.

CU L8R,

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 06:33:34 AM »
Hi LkonKbd,

Did you see this? ". . .Another item, if I may, in the 'Advanced Options' window 'Global Settings' when checking the selection for 'Show the contents of password fields with asterisks on webpages' the passwords are NOT shown with asterisks, they are visible. I unchecked that selection and they are now hidden with asterisks." With that box unchecked my passwords are now hidden.
Yes, I saw it. That is the way it is supposed to work. It's not phrased well. Per Romeo's suggestion here, I've changed the wording to Show all passwords on web pages as clear text. The feature will be worded that way in the next release. Sorry for the confusion.

If I wore a HAT 'I would take my hat off to you' and all of the other HELPers you have there or on this Forum.
:) Thank you :)

-Eric

LkonKbd

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 05:11:40 PM »
YEP, Greetings from LeonSprings, Texas,

Here I am again with basicly the same problem with Accounts showing in the Selction screen with two (2) entries for each account that I just created without deleting any.  What?  I was creating new passwords for my e-mail accounts and creating Accounts in PasswordMaker.

Plus when I click on the Global tab and then unchecking the 'Mask Generated Password' it wants my Masterpassword, that is OK, but it is telling me my master password is incorrect.  Have even closed FF and reopened it with the same results.

O/S Win98SE v4.10.2222A on AMD K6-2 400 MEG overclocked, 184 meg RAM, FF v1.0.7, PegasusMail v4.3 public ßeta1 (Win23) July 17, 2005.

Also when attempting to change my e-mail password in my e-mail client, PegasusMail, PasswordMaker is not in there when right clicking the password field.  Could that be made to work?

LkonKbd

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 09:01:20 PM »
Yep, Again,

I went in and removed the 'passowordmaker.rdf' file and started over again.  Having to recreate all of those passwords about once every two weeks is a pain in the a__.

If you have the 'Global Settings' box for 'Hide Master Password Field (number of asterisks)' checked with 'Mask Generated Password with Asterisks' checked and UnCheck 'Confirm master password by typing it twice instad of once' the MasterPassword will not be accepted by PasswordMaker.  

I hope that is not too confussing for you.  That has been one of my problems for the last 2 - 3 days.

O/s Win98SE v4.10.2222A on AMD K6-2 3D sound 400Mg clock, FF v1.0.7/w 'SpoofStick' v1.05 plugin and PasswordMaker v0.8.7

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 11:23:03 PM »
Hi,
If you have the 'Global Settings' box for 'Hide Master Password Field (number of asterisks)' checked with 'Mask Generated Password with Asterisks' checked and UnCheck 'Confirm master password by typing it twice instad of once' the MasterPassword will not be accepted by PasswordMaker.
Assuming I can reproduce this, I will fix it right away. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Can you give me the URL for PegasusMail where you can't enter your password?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 11:23:29 PM by Eric H. Jung »

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 11:23:03 PM »