Author Topic: Advanced Settings page unwieldy  (Read 12717 times)

Offline eyequeue

• Normal Members
Advanced Settings page unwieldy
« on: August 09, 2005, 10:57:09 AM »
I appear to (perhaps) keep more site/password settings than most users. (?)

In any case, I have a number of Groups which contain many Accounts.  Opening the Advanced Settings page gives me a large number of entries in the first Group, which I then need to manually close, then I have a large number of entries in the second Group, which I need to manually close, then I have ... you get the idea.  This continues through about 10 Groups at present, with a likelihood of more to come in the future.

Collapsing the tree upon every occasion gets rather annoying.  Can all Groups default to collapsed please?  Or would it be better to have a configuration option for collapsed/expanded trees by default?

Adding new Accounts (to the bottom Group) is quite time-consuming at present.

What do you think, Eric?

-- -- --

One other point, there doesn't appear to be a scroll bar at the right of the list.  Or at least the fact that the Advanced Settings dialog box is wider than my available screen real estate makes it impossible to see here, if it exists.
ElGamal:  2048g/85DBEFA8 CCCC 3282 19D4 118D 76AB  D089 B2A0 D2E4 ABEE 9309

Offline Romeo

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 01:02:41 PM »
I second that request.  I was going to request that feature earlier, but never got around to it. So I am glad to see it requested here.
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline Tyrantmizar

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 01:10:51 PM »
What do you think, Eric?  Should it be one of these two options:

Can all Groups default to collapsed please? Or would it be better to have a configuration option for collapsed/expanded trees by default?

Or would it be possible for PasswordMaker to automatically save which ones are open and closed, much like the width and heights of the windows?

I will add it to "the list" (DUN DUN DUNNNN) when you decide which would be best.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 01:15:33 PM by Tyrantmizar »
Tyrantmizar
- <a href="http://tyrantmizar.blogsome.com/">Check out my blog</a> (shameless plug :P)
- Lord of the Feature Requests / Enhancements Forum - BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
- Lord of the other one, the [url=http://forums.passwordmaker.o

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 03:58:02 PM »
My first thought is this conflicts with a request by taanstafl (Charles). He requested that when you open the Advanced Settings dialog, any accounts matching the current URL get highlighted.This would imply a couple of things:
  • that the folders in which these accounts exist are automatically opened
  • the list be made so it can handle selection of multiple items, which is a bigger deal than you'd expect
Personally, I like the idea of defaulting to all closed, then "remembering" which are open/closed across invocations--a cross between eyequeue's suggestion and Tyrantmizar's suggestion, but I'd like some more input here before we decide. Specifically, I'd like to hear from taanstafl.

Do people have many accounts for the same URL (besides taanstafl)?

Offline Romeo

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 04:04:11 PM »
Eric,
Code: [Select]
Personally, I like the idea of defaulting to all closedI agree, that is exactly how it should work.  That is kind of the way one would expect it to work.
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 05:01:08 PM »
Hie Eric,

Actually, that 'request' of mine was more like an initial expectation, but was due to a misunderstanding of how PM was supposed to be used.

I'd still like to see the ability to add 'Views' (ability to crate custom 'groups' of Accounts, then view your accounts by group, if desired), but have no problem with defaulting to all closed when opening the Advanced Settings.

And by the way - it's not that I have a lot of *Accounts* with the same URL - it's just that I manage passwords for many users which all happen to be at the same domain, and I was trying to figure out a straightforward way of managing that task - and I still am.

Thanks

Charles

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 05:46:47 PM »
OK. Let's do this as two feature requests:

1. Default the accounts tree to all folders/groups closed.
2. Accounts tree should remember which folders/groups are open/closed across invocations.

Reason for it being broken into two requests is I can do #1 really quickly--5 minutes tops. #2 will take a little more effort, so I'd like to get #1 out the door and then start #2.

-Eric
p.s. taanstafl--I broke your second reply into a new post here

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 05:46:47 PM »