Author Topic: Auto submit  (Read 87734 times)

Offline Romeo

Auto submit
« on: August 03, 2005, 01:20:23 PM »
Hi there,

I do not know if this has been discussed before, or if it has, may be it was before we knew about the upcoming account specific auto populate feature.

Here is the idea.  In 0.8 there will be a feature to turn on auto poulate for specific accounts.  Wouldn't it be neat to have two options.  One that is for just auto populate, as described above, and one that is for auto populate plus auto submit?

That way, the password and username gets filled in and PM submits the form automatically.

What do you think?

Romeo

BTW, I don' even ask if it would be possible anymore, because I've come to realize that Eric can make that thing do (almost) anything.   :P
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline quixin

Auto submit
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 02:17:50 PM »
That way, the password and username gets filled in and PM submits the form automatically.
The auto submit is great.  Shouldn't PasswordMaker auto submit by default?  What type of instances would there be that you would not want it to submit automatically?

BTW, I don' even ask if it would be possible anymore, because I've come to realize that Eric can make that thing do (almost) anything. :)
So true. So true.

Offline Romeo

Auto submit
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 02:31:51 PM »
Shouldn't PasswordMaker auto submit by default?
I would not want that, because there are web sites which require additional information, such as state, etc.  Also, what if you have two accounts in two states, for example, and one day, you want to see your NY account, but he net you wanto to see your NJ account?

So, no, I think this should be optional and I do not see any harm in giving the user a choice.

Romeo

Offline quixin

Auto submit
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 03:08:57 PM »
I would not want that, because there are web sites which require additional information, such as state, etc.  Also, what if you have two accounts in two states, for example, and one day, you want to see your NY account, but he net you wanto to see your NJ account?

So, no, I think this should be optional and I do not see any harm in giving the user a choice.

Romeo
Agreed.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Auto submit
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 03:36:33 PM »
BTW, I don' even ask if it would be possible anymore, because I've come to realize that Eric can make that thing do (almost) anything
:D  Thanks

My first reaction is that auto-submit is dangerous. Here's why. Let's say you create an account whose When URL Contains field is mail.yahoo.com. Then you happen to navigate to the URL http://mail.yahoo.com.romeo.net. The page at that URL has the same field names as http://mail.yahoo.com (login, passwd) and a form.

If you have auto-submit turned on and navigate to this page, your username/password for your Yahoo! Mail account gets submitted to the hackers at romeo.net. Now they can log into your Yahoo account.  :(

One way around this is to change When URL Contains to a drop-down box from which you can select When URL Contains or When URL Equals. I would only permit auto-submit for accounts where When URL Equals has been selected.

Thoughts?

-Eric
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 03:37:08 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Romeo

Auto submit
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 03:56:49 PM »
Eric,

Very good comment.  I hadn't thought about it that way way.  I gues that is why you are the creator and we just get to add our two cents worth.
When URL Equals.
When you say this, I assuming that you are saying when URL is equal to or begins with yahoo.com/, right ?
If that is so, it should work, correct ?  You could make it so that this automatically gets populated, when you click on the check box, thich says auto submit, or pop up a message warning the user.

Romeo
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 03:58:43 PM by Romeo »

Offline quixin

Auto submit
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 04:11:30 PM »
One way around this is to change When URL Contains to a drop-down box from which you can select When URL Contains or When URL Equals. I would only permit auto-submit for accounts where When URL Equals has been selected.

Absolutely,  but when you say "Equals", how is a user informed of the exact meaning? Equal to just the domain or the protocol, sub-domain & domain etc?

Offline Romeo

Auto submit
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 04:14:18 PM »
Equal to just the domain
That is exactly what I was trying to say.  Thanks quixn.

Romeo

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Auto submit
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 05:03:18 PM »
This is what I mean (only works in FF/Mozilla/Netscape).

Whatever text you enter must be precisely what is in the address URL, protocol included.

Offline Romeo

Auto submit
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 05:12:17 PM »
Eric, that should work, but when URL equals is not selected, the auto submit should be grayed out, right ?

Romeo

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Auto submit
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 05:41:21 PM »
Absolutely!!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Auto submit
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 08:19:57 PM »
I really like this idea, and it sort of supplants - or at least modifies - my request for 'Auto & Manual Modes'...

Basically, you have added two parts to the Auto mode - Auto populate, and Auto submit - and gone even further by allowing this to be enabled/disabled on a per Account basis.

I LOVE it!

Ok, I'm going to spend some time this weekend and compare these requests and see where they differ, and try to come up with a new request that takes into account this one.

charles

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Auto submit
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 03:59:47 PM »
Was this ever added to the feature request list?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Auto submit
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 04:18:47 PM »
Not yet - I got kinda busy this weekend, and still going at it. I'll get it done this week though.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Auto submit
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 09:31:08 PM »
Ok...

Eric, basically what I'd like to do is resubmit my 'Manual/Auto' feature request. I've actually decided to whittle it down and make it simpler. I haven't finished writing it up, but wanted to ask you how I should [re]submit it...

This 'Auto-Submit' feature should simply be a secondary option on the 'Auto-populate' functionality, and should be easy to integrate with my request if/when you ever get to it.

Anyway - should I simply 'Edit' my request and make the changes? Or create a new Request? I've already created 2 or 3 versions of this one, and don't want to create any more clutter than necessary.

I should be done writing it up tonight, and will submit it then.

Thanks

Charles

PasswordMaker Forums

Auto submit
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 09:31:08 PM »