Author Topic: Simpler way to sync passwords?  (Read 12983 times)

Offline neurosoft

• Normal Members
Simpler way to sync passwords?
« on: September 17, 2006, 09:09:33 PM »
I just stumbled across PasswordMaker this morning and it's a great little program! One of the features that really appealed to me was the ability to generate my passwords online, but I want to echo a concern that was mentioned before in this thread:

http://forums.passwordmaker.org/index.php?showtopic=818

One of my problems is that different sites have different requirements: some need you to change passwords regularly, others need passwords of a specific length, others disallow certain characters, and the nature of what is allowed as a username changes quite a bit as well. This means that even a solution like PasswordMaker is far from perfect, since I have to remember all this other information as well - especially if I wish to access my accounts from a computer other than the one in which I've installed this plugin.

The fact that it's difficult/impossible to find a set of password requirements that will work for every site, makes the online feature much less useful, as I have to remember the password settings I have for each site. I understand that some kind of online import is in the works, but not available yet? Any ETA for this feature?

The ability to export my settings as HTML is useful, but it's still painful to copy these settings from a static HTML page to the online generator. Perhaps PasswordMaker could actually create the dynamic page itself with the specific account settings imbeded? Then, I could just upload this single HTML file. Wouldn't this be simpler than an online import?

Cheers,
Ben
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 04:30:41 PM by tanstaafl »

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 01:54:03 AM »
Actually, that sounds like a good feature.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 07:02:22 PM »
That's a mega-cool feature. Tanstaafl, where are you? Can you add this to the FRL (and update the FRL to strike-out the items that have been implemented in 1.6)? Otherwise, I can get to it tonight. There are some FRL items I'm going to strike-out as not-to-be-implemented (i.e., the phishing-related ones).

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Re: Simpler way to sync passwords?
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 05:01:32 PM »
Reviewing the discussions on phishing protection, discovered I missed this one...

Added with a vote from neurosoft (you have 4 more votes)...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 04:11:50 AM »
tanstaafl, what do you think of his idea? maybe we could get caspian to work on it since he's been working the online/javascript edition lately.

Offline caspian

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 05:02:15 AM »
I agree -- this is the best suggestion I've heard on syncing passwords with the online version.

I'll take a look at it the next chance I get. I've been quite busy lately -- I had thought that my summer was going to be free... but I happened to land 2 part-time jobs over the summer and then decided to take summer classes (yes, I'm insane). I probably won't be able to get around to it until after July, but I'll keep it on my list.

Philip

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 03:33:36 PM »
Yes, I neglected to comment on his idea itself... I do like it, although I don't currently really use the online version (I've played with it, but prefer the tight integration with Firefox, and don't really ever use any other computers than my own)...

So. yes, thumbs up to the idea itself... :)

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 03:33:36 PM »