Author Topic: PasswordMaker 1.6 beta 1 for Frfx/Moz/Netscp/Flock  (Read 23121 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker 1.6 beta 1 for Frfx/Moz/Netscp/Flock
« on: September 06, 2006, 05:36:35 PM »
Hi,

PasswordMaker for Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape/Flock version 1.6 beta1 has been released. You can get it here. Please note that Firefox's extension manager will report this version as 1.5.1. This is so you will automatically be upgraded to 1.6 after it's finalized. The about dialog, however, displays 1.6 beta 1.

Help with the wildcard/regular expression feature is here.

I look forward to your feedback!
-Eric
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 01:47:04 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 07:00:07 PM »
Wow! Multiple 'When URL Contains' entries, and support for wildcards and regexp! It's been a long time coming... great work Eric!

Question - is PMs regexp syntax documented anywhere?

Glad to see the HMAC-SHA-256 bug is finally fixed, but I had actually forgottn about it - now I'll have to go redo all of my accounts - which I've been dreading - but I've been needing to do it anyway to start taking advantage of the 'Modifiable Username Prompt' that you added back in April, so now I have a strong motivation...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 07:16:46 PM »
Hi Charles,

Question - is PMs regexp syntax documented anywhere?
I'm writing it right now  It's at http://passwordmaker.org/help/patterns.html but is incomplete. edit: now complete. I will finish it by tonight. There will be a link to that page within PasswordMaker itself. I forgot to add it to the beta.

Glad to see the HMAC-SHA-256 bug is finally fixed, but I had actually forgottn about it - now I'll have to go redo all of my accounts - which I've been dreading
You don't need to change your accounts to use the bug-free version unless you rely on the other PasswordMaker editions. The 'buggy version' works just fine, but it doesn't generate the same passwords as the other editions for that hash algorithms--that's the only problem.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 01:45:38 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 07:22:18 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
You don't need to change your accounts to use the bug-free version unless you rely on the other PasswordMaker editions. The 'buggy version' works just fine, but it doesn't generate the same passwords as the other editions for that hash algorithms--that's the only problem.
Yeah, I know, but I want to...

Also, did you see my question here about the 'Modifiable Username Prompt' that you implemented back in April? I can't seem to get it to work...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 01:33:52 AM »
Any feedback? Anyone try 1.6 beta1 yet?

Offline offroadsooner

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 03:05:27 AM »
I've got it and seen the new features...but the biggest is the FF 2.0 compatibility.  It seems that some of the auto fills have been disabled or changed due to the multiple when url contains feature.  I'll let you know post haste when I've had more of a chance to try some of the new things.

Brad

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 11:52:49 AM »
Just installed it...

Initial feeling is positive...  but I can think of one UI modification (for the new multiple URLs feature) that will eventually have to be made, to accomodate another FR... you'll need to have two separate Select boxes on the 'Activate this account when the URL of a webpage...' line, ie:

Activate this account when the URL of a webpage

Select box 1 choices:
is equal to
starts with
contains

Select box 2 choices:
the widlcard pattern
the regular expression

expressed by ____________________________

You get the idea...

Also, with multiple entries, it might be nice to have the choice of matching ALL, or matching ANY of the conditions - so, maybe a radio button choice right above the list of patterns?

The main thing I'm thinking of here goes back to some of the discussions we've had about how to prevent phishing attacks.

Otherwise, I like it! I should have time during the day today to do some experimenting, and test the actual functionality.

Good job Eric! The forums have been kind of slow lately - I guess I'm not the only one who has gotten really busy at work, but I just want to say that I still use PWM all the time, and still feel the same way about how dramatically it has simplified my online life.

Many thanks...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 01:44:29 PM »
It seems that some of the auto fills have been disabled or changed due to the multiple when url contains feature
OK, is this on your existing accounts or new accounts?

to accomodate another FR... you'll need to have two separate Select boxes on the 'Activate this account when the URL of a webpage
Well, since wildcards and regular expressions include the capabilities of equal to, starts with, and contains, I was thinking of leaving it. In other words, wildcards and regular expressions are more powerful than those three other options and you can already use wildcards and regular expressions to express those 3 concepts anyway... so do we really need both?

it might be nice to have the choice of matching ALL, or matching ANY of the conditions - so, maybe a radio button choice right above the list of patterns?
As you've probably figured out by now, the existing list is "ANY"--that is, the expressions are bitwise OR'd. If you need AND ("ALL") functionality, I'm fairly certain you can already achieve it with a single expression. For example, let's say I want to match ONLY urls that contain "foo" AND "bar". I could write the regular expression: .*foo.*bar.*|.*bar.*foo.*

The forums have been kind of slow lately
I think -- I hope -- that's only been because we haven't had a release in a while (5 months?)

I just want to say that I still use PWM all the time, and still feel the same way about how dramatically it has simplified my online life.
This is good to know because with the decreased activity on the forums, it's hard to know if PasswordMaker is still used by anyone but me

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 02:42:56 PM »
By the way, with regards to the phishing prevention: Firefox 2 includes built-in phishing prevention and there are now numerous phishing extensions. Do we really need PasswordMaker to tackle that, too?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 03:34:36 PM »
By the way, with regards to the phishing prevention: Firefox 2 includes built-in phishing prevention and there are now numerous phishing extensions. Do we really need PasswordMaker to tackle that, too?
Fair question... I guess you're right, now that I think about it...

Well, since wildcards and regular expressions include the capabilities of equal to, starts with, and contains, I was thinking of leaving it. In other words, wildcards and regular expressions are more powerful than those three other options and you can already use wildcards and regular expressions to express those 3 concepts anyway... so do we really need both?

As you've probably figured out by now, the existing list is "ANY"--that is, the expressions are bitwise OR'd. If you need AND ("ALL") functionality, I'm fairly certain you can already achieve it with a single expression. For example, let's say I want to match ONLY urls that contain "foo" AND "bar". I could write the regular expression: .*foo.*bar.*|.*bar.*foo.*
Interesting - I must confess, I know essentially nothing about regex, so guess it is time to learn... and yes, I agree with you, if it can be accomplished easily using regex, then there is no reason to do it the way I suggested - but for people (like me) who don't know anything about regex, it might be a good idea to have a 'Tips' button for the regex, with some examples of the most common cases - like, for example, the three cases I suggested.

I think -- I hope -- that's only been because we haven't had a release in a while (5 months?)
This is good to know because with the decreased activity on the forums, it's hard to know if PasswordMaker is still used by anyone but me
Heh - yeah, I was feeling the same thing...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 04:51:14 PM by tanstaafl »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 04:22:28 PM »
Ok, first problem... none of my accounts that have only a partiel URL (don't start with http://) work/match...

One example is the TabMix Plus forum:

http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/

The URL I had in 1.5.1 that worked fine was:

tmp.gary.net/

This was converted by 1.6b1 ie:

tmp.gary.net/ .................................. Pattern Type = Wildcard

But as I said - it doesn't work - the MPW prompt wants to use the Defaults...

I tried adding an asterisk before the partial, as:

*tmp.gary.net/

but that did not work.

Offline offroadsooner

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 04:22:53 PM »
OK, is this on your existing accounts or new accounts?

It's on existing accounts.  I'll have to try out the expression settings to learn more about how it works.  I have some time now to test out the new things and learn more about them.  I think, also, that the advanced auto populate may not be working either;  I'll have to investigate more.

Great work, Eric, and thanks.

I still use PWM all the time, and still feel the same way about how dramatically it has simplified my online life.

I couldn't agree more!

I lurk on the forums (check them just about everyday) and post when I feel that I can be of help.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 04:33:36 PM by Brad »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 04:56:08 PM »
I tried adding an asterisk before the partial, as:

*tmp.gary.net/

Change it to *tmp.gary.net/* and it should work. Looks like I need to think about the conversion process (1.5.1 RDF to 1.6 RDF) a little more. Miquel, do you have any feedback on that?

It's on existing accounts.
OK. This must be the same problem tanstaafl is running into. I need to change the way patterns are created for existing accounts, probably by surrounding them with asterisks (*).

I couldn't agree more!

I lurk on the forums (check them just about everyday) and post when I feel that I can be of help.
Cool!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 05:11:08 PM »
Change it to *tmp.gary.net/* and it should work. Looks like I need to think about the conversion process (1.5.1 RDF to 1.6 RDF) a little more.
Well, it's good to know that the regex will be human readable (that I was on the right track with the asterisk). I actually considered trying an asterisk on the end, but got interrupted by a loser- er- user...

Hmmm... judging from the Regex help page you are working on (thanks for that! Great resource!), the first thing I tried should have worked, no? If not, why not?

OK. This must be the same problem tanstaafl is running into. I need to change the way patterns are created for existing accounts, probably by surrounding them with asterisks (*).
Sounds like the best solution...

Thanks again - this is gonna be great!

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 06:20:33 PM »
Change it to *tmp.gary.net/* and it should work. Looks like I need to think about the conversion process (1.5.1 RDF to 1.6 RDF) a little more.
Fyi - this did work, but it still looks like it should work without the trailing asterisk...

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 06:20:33 PM »