Author Topic: Question  (Read 5560 times)

Chewy74

Question
« on: July 19, 2005, 10:29:43 PM »
Can I backup all stored passwords that tis program generates?

if so, and I uninstall, will i be able to read or open the file without the program?

If I uninstall this program will I lose all stored passwords?

I guess, I just wanted to know if I need to keep a paper copy of these passwords that the program generates in case something goes wrong.

Thanks

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Question
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 10:45:26 PM »
Hi Chewy,

Can I backup all stored passwords that tis program generates?
PasswordMaker doesn't store generated passwords. It computes them on-the-fly as they are needed. Since passwords aren't stored, they can't be stolen. But you can backup your accounts and settings. The settings affect how the passwords are generated. To backup this info, go to the Advanced Settings dialog and choose File->Export from the menu.

If I uninstall this program will I lose all stored passwords?
If you mean your settings, no, these don't get uninstalled.

will i be able to read or open the file without the program?
You can import the file onto another computer using File->Import from the Advanced Settings dialog. If you want to "read" the file, you can open it in a text editor like Notepad. It's RDF. A future version will optionally encrypt this file, even though passwords aren't store in there.

Please let me know if I can answer anything else.

Regards,
Eric

Offline quixin

Question
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 11:48:30 PM »
It sounds to me as if he wants all the passwords and url saved to some sort of txt file that he can keep.  I don't think anyone would advocate doing this as it imo is opposite of the purpose PasswordMaker was created.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Question
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 12:02:39 AM »
It sounds to me as if he wants all the passwords and url saved to some sort of txt file that he can keep
Well, the URLs are saved in a text file when you use File->Export... just not the passwords, as you pointed out.

I don't think anyone would advocate doing this as it imo is opposite of the purpose PasswordMaker was created.
Quite so!

PasswordMaker Forums

Question
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 12:02:39 AM »