Author Topic: PasswordMaker 1.5.1 beta1 for Frfx/Moz/Netscp/Flock  (Read 7934 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker 1.5.1 beta1 for Frfx/Moz/Netscp/Flock
« on: March 25, 2006, 02:10:16 PM »
Hi,

PasswordMaker for Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape/Flock version 1.5.1 beta 1 has been released and is available here. I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks,
Eric

Offline Romeo

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 03:21:03 PM »
Excellent, that did it.  I installed beta 1 on my machine at home and it worked.

When I read the comment from tanstaafl that his was working yesterday, I was afraid that it is a problem with my profile again.  It looked like I had stuck my proverbial foot in my mouth again, but luckily you proved that I hadn't.    

P.S. Since this beta is hosted on passwordmaker.org, does that mean that we will not get upgrade notification from AMO?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 03:22:58 PM by Romeo »
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

Offline major4579

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 03:44:34 PM »
Eric,

Finally had some time to install and test PWM 1.5.1.b1. Here's what I've found:

I've tried numerous sites and most appear to be working fine. I cannot remember -

When I create an Auto-Populate custom field, this only fills in the field when I hit the CoolKey - it doesn't fill-in the field based on the "Automatically Populate" selection on the General Tab. Is this as designed?

Is there any way to set this custom field to Automatically Populate without having to hit the CoolKey? The particular URL where I ran into this is:
https://www.domainpeople.com/customerlogin.htm
The password field fills in fine but the "Domain/User ID" does not. I created the custom field to fill this in which works fine except it's not automatic.

Another site that is not working is http://www.newsvine.com/. Because the login is javascipt I'm guessing it's just not going to work with PMW easily. The regular PMW username and generated password work - but only after hitting the CoolKey.

Other minor issues: still have to hit the CLOSE button twice. Sorting of accounts in PWM and especially in the "Choose Account" window.

Please let me know if you need anymore info on the above items. I'll keep using the beta and see if anything else isn't working.

It can never be said enough -thanks for this extension - its one of the most useful ones I've installed! I appreciate all your work.
-John

PMW 1.7.1 and FireFox 1.5.0.12 on Windows 2000/SP4

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 06:53:36 PM »
Since this beta is hosted on passwordmaker.org, does that mean that we will not get upgrade notification from AMO?
No, you will get updates for all non-beta releases. I left the updateURL for the beta set to AMO, so your Firefox extension manager is still checking AMO for updates...not passwordmaker.org.

When I create an Auto-Populate custom field, this only fills in the field when I hit the CoolKey - it doesn't fill-in the field based on the "Automatically Populate" selection on the General Tab. Is this as designed?
No. Thanks for pointing that out. I've fixed it and have released beta2 to correct that (wonder what'll break...  )

Another site that is not working is http://www.newsvine.com/. Because the login is javascipt I'm guessing it's just not going to work with PMW easily. The regular PMW username and generated password work - but only after hitting the CoolKey.
In order to make this work with auto-populate, PasswordMaker would have to simulate a click on the Login In/Register link. I can do that, but it's a new feature. Can you request it in the feature request thread if you'd like it?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 10:37:38 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline major4579

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 07:36:41 PM »
RE: Newsvine...

Quote from: Eric H. Jung
In order to make this work with auto-populate, PasswordMaker would have to simulate a click on the Login In/Register link. I can do that, but it's a new feature. Can you request it in the feature request thread if you'd like it?

Actually that was not what I was asking... it's after I click on the Login Link and the username/password fields are displayed that I wanted PMW to fill in these fields. That's different then having PMW click on the Login Link AND fill-in the fields.

If I understand this correctly, Newsvine is using javascript to display the Login screen and that this would be very hard to detect - not only would PMW need to be watching the URLs, it must also watch what's being displayed on the screen. This would add to the overhead and probably have an effect on the speed of the browser. Unless you tell me otherwise, I'd rather keep things running quickly and have to occasionally click on something then have PMW do everything for me at the cost of speed.

In fact this is a bit of an academic discussion since Newsvine can keep me logged in with a cookie, which in this case is not a security risk as far as I'm concerned. I was more interested in giving you feedback than asking you to solve all the possible situations.

Having said that I do have a request which I will put in the feature request....
-John

PMW 1.7.1 and FireFox 1.5.0.12 on Windows 2000/SP4

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 08:17:34 PM »
If I understand this correctly, Newsvine is using javascript to display the Login screen and that this would be very hard to detect
Yes. A javascript onclick event handler modifies the DOM of the page, inserting new content.

it must also watch what's being displayed on the screen
Well, it must watch for changes to the DOM after the DOM has already been built. Yes, this means more overhead (optionally -- if you choose to use the feature).

I was more interested in giving you feedback than asking you to solve all the possible situations.
Good  because I wasn't looking forward to implementing it

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 08:17:34 PM »