Author Topic: What to do when travelling  (Read 5896 times)

Steve

What to do when travelling
« on: March 04, 2006, 08:38:31 AM »
I am running Passwordmaker in Firefox. What to do when travelling without my portable. Say I am using a public PC or portable. Well, use the online version you say. That presume I know all those variables, which I do not. Such a character set used (I use several as each site has different password requirements), length of password (some allow longer than others), URL I chose to use (not always obvious), heck even user name, etc. I don't know or remember all those variables.

So, what to do? On a trip, with no PC of my own, how could I safely and securely access web sites? What do other people do?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 07:11:47 PM »
Hi Steve,

Although there is a built-in upload/download facility for the settings, clearly this doesn't address all possible situations (e.g., public PC where you can't install Firefox). It does, however, address some remote access problems--like traveling with your portable PC which can also have FF and PasswordMaker installed.

The best solution proposed so far is to enable server-side storage of the settings. This means:
  • You can access settings from any location at any time
  • You don't have to worry about synchronizing multiple versions of the settings
  • The online version can be changed so it can access the settings file
Before server-side storage of the settings can happen, I think the following are prerequisites:
  • Encryption of the settings
  • A username/account system must be made at passwordmaker.org so people can create an account in which their settings can be saved
The code will be made public so if you'd rather use your own central storage and website instead of passwordmaker.org, you can.

What do you think?
[/list]

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 08:39:34 PM »
Well, not sure. I assume you mean this is something that does not already exist. Assuming it did, I presume this is NOT to store passwords. This would be to store settings (maybe it can import the same setting rdf file), which is what I am hoping this would do. Those settings would then work just like the Firefox extensions, i.e., you need to provide master password to get the password. Is this the right track?

Is this not what the PHP version is? I have not downloaded it, but, don't see any description or doc of what it is?

Steve

Offline sfatula

• Normal Members
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 09:15:20 PM »
I decided to register, so, the above reply was mine also. Not different people.

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 07:29:02 PM »
The php version is really just the backend of PasswordMaker (the part that creates the passwords anyway) written in PHP using mHash (which, due to a bug in the javascript version, doesn't calculate HMAC-SHA256 passwords correctly) and a file used to allow people to use it as a command line version.
BTW, using teh RDF is not that hard actually, the Command Line edition uses it (though, only the default settings right now)
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 09:16:33 PM »
Well, not sure. I assume you mean this is something that does not already exist. Assuming it did, I presume this is NOT to store passwords. This would be to store settings (maybe it can import the same setting rdf file), which is what I am hoping this would do. Those settings would then work just like the Firefox extensions, i.e., you need to provide master password to get the password. Is this the right track?
Correct.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 09:16:33 PM »