Author Topic: Annoying password handling  (Read 12396 times)

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Annoying password handling
« on: February 03, 2006, 02:31:05 PM »
Backstory: I changed my password on this one site, for the most part it worked well, except that it seems as though the password gets alter behind the scenes, maybe
Passwords might be converted to lower case and truncated to twelve
characters, but I'm not sure.
As of now, I'm using a password generated by the site until I know for sure. Anyone else encounter something like this (BTW, the site only gives 6-12 characters as it's limits, doesn't saying anything else, and it get hashed as well)
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 04:11:38 PM »
Are you saying this site takes whatever you enter as a password and mangles it somehow?

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 05:11:34 PM »
It seems like it is. If so, I guess I need to make a character set with only lower case characters (but I can leave the special case)

LkonKbd

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 03:51:29 AM »
Backstory: I changed my password on this one site, for the most part it worked well, except that it seems as though the password gets alter behind the scenes, maybe
Passwords might be converted to lower case and truncated to twelve
characters, but I'm not sure.
As of now, I'm using a password generated by the site until I know for sure. Anyone else encounter something like this (BTW, the site only gives 6-12 characters as it's limits, doesn't saying anything else, and it get hashed as well)
"MiQuelFire,"

And "SirEric", Yes I'm back.  I just changed my password on this site using the full Alpha/Numeric & SpecialCharacters set to a length of 12 without any difficulties.  Worked Just Fine.

My previous password was length 13 Alpha/Numeric characters.  I had NOT a problem with the 13 character PW.

I will change it back to 13 if that is acceptable?

I await your return,

Offline NativeTexan

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 04:14:42 AM »
"MiQuelFire,"

And "SirEric" have just changed my PW for this character "NT" and now know why I have been having trouble accessing your site with "NativeTexan".  I had my PW set to 18, just changed it to 13 and all has gone well.  I am back again with a different HAT?  No, I do not wear a Hat.  OT, end of story.

I will now proceed to my alter ego and change my PW again to 13.

Thank you for reading this,
CU L8R,

NativeTexan AKA 'd' also LkonKbd

AMD K6-II 500Mg, 184MG RAM, Win98SEv4.10.2222A, Mozilla FireFox v1.5.0.1/w Extensions PassWordMaker v1.5ßTHREE, SpoofStick v1.06

LkonKbd

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 04:23:33 AM »
"MiQuelFire,"

And "SirEric" have just changed my PW for this UserName and set it to 14 characters without any problem, was accepted and logged in again.

Not sure what MR. MiQuelFire is having as a problem.

Good evening, CU 2moro,

LkonKbd

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 12:38:02 AM »
"MiQuelFire,"

And "SirEric" this is not the way it is supposed to work, RIGHT?  Last night I created my new passwords for this access at 13 and my other one at 14 and they both worked.  Today neither one would allow me in.  Had to chenge the password for this one to 12 to gain access and will change the other one to 12 as well.

Excuse me Senior "MiQuelFire" it did work last night and will not to night,

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 02:26:37 AM »
Hi LkonKbd,

I cannot explain that. I didn't write the software for these forums...

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 06:05:17 AM »
The issue I was having was another forum elsewhere.

LkonKbd

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 09:42:07 PM »
Greetings from LeonSprings, Texas USofA,

I have re-established my password for this account and awaiting the message for my other account.  Usually it takes the use of the "Resend Validation Email" after a few minutes.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 09:44:14 PM by LkonKbd »

LkonKbd

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 02:33:28 AM »
"SirEric,"

I had to re-do my password again, this time reduced to 11 characters.  Very strange when I originally started with 13 characters and they were accepted and used for that day they were created.  Now reduced to 11 characters where will this end?  My other account was started at 18 characters and was accepted for the day it was created but did not work the next day.  Have reduced that one to 12 and it worked.  Increased it to 14 and that worked for the days they were each created within.  Did not work the next day though.  

Eric, what is the limit on length, I know you have told me but . . . AllSlammers, I need that info again?

Offline NativeTexan

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 02:44:45 AM »
I just managed to get this account re-established with 10 characters.  Will see if this will work tomorrow.  I plan on exiting FF and coming back to check it then, will not post, reboot CPU and see if it still works and maybe report back when done tonight, later.
CU L8R,

AMD K6-II 500Mg, 184MG RAM, Win98SEv4.10.2222A, Mozilla FireFox v1.5.0.1/w Extensions PassWordMaker v1.5ßTHREE, SpoofStick v1.06

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 04:21:28 AM »
Ok!

LkonKbd

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 03:02:49 AM »
Ok!
Numbre Uno > when is this annoying Window going to be done away with?  Have not checked the other account, NativeTexan, but; sure enough it will need to have a new password as well.  Will check it later.

Why am I having to redo my password each day even using PWM for my password?  
With two accounts here it is a pain in the ole, you know what.

I went to Mozillazine for the first time since about 5 January, 2006 and had to recreate my password there.  The only site that I have not had to recreate thingys is CastleCops and Net-Integrations, NI is off line at this time.

Any questions?

Today:17 February, 2006
MozillaZine will not allow me access even though I recreated my password yesterday.  Plus it will not Ctrl+`, GoldKey, AutoPopulate even though it is checked on Page #1 and my 'single quotes' around my user/Name for their Forum are not being retained.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 09:01:36 PM by LkonKbd »

Offline NativeTexan

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 03:11:46 AM »
"SirEric,"

Surprise, surprise, surprise, the password worked for this account without having to recreate the password.  

Thank you for whatever you did, if you did, if you did not then thank you anyway,
CU L8R,

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 03:11:46 AM »