Author Topic: Please Explain  (Read 6627 times)

JaseFace

Please Explain
« on: February 06, 2006, 01:20:41 AM »
How can the password maker recalculate the passwords each time you visit the webpage, if you have to go through a lengthy process to change the password from the previous one to another one?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Please Explain
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 02:30:33 AM »
Hi JaseFace,

I'm not sure I understand your question. Although changing passwords on a website can be tedious and lengthy, the next version of PasswordMaker (1.5) lets you use existing passwords: you don't have to change anything to still take advantage of PasswordMaker's auto-populate features.

But what do you mean by, "How can the password maker recalculate the passwords each time you visit the webpage"? Are you asking for an explanation of this process?

Regards,
Eric Jung

JaseFace

Please Explain
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 06:41:42 AM »
I'm probably just confused on how to use it, i'll tinker with it, and if i'm still confused i'll come back. thanks.

Offline morguns

Please Explain
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 03:06:44 PM »
be sure to check out the faq and the manual. both provide loads of useful info.

LkonKbd

Please Explain
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 03:28:17 AM »
"JaseFace,"

The short of it is, you set what is required to do the calculations and algorithm and these will remain the same.  There fore it will calculate the same password each time you use PWM.  If you change any one of the, last count I had made there were 9 entries that would effect the calculation, the password will change.  I use the 'CustomAccounts' settings for each of my passwords.  None are the same.  PWM keeps them straight for me.

Thank you for reading this, is this AOK?  Eric?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Please Explain
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 03:53:10 AM »
Thank you for reading this, is this AOK? Eric?
Yep. Great explanation. I recently had to explain this to someone in the chat room. I thought of an analogy: when you ask your bank for the balance in your checking or savings account, they don't actually store the balance anywhere. They calculate it on-demand. In other words, when someone requests his balance, the bank computers just add and subtract all of your transactions in order to determine the current balance. There's no need to store the balance anywhere.

What if one of those transactions is missing? If even just one deposit or withdrawal is missing for your transaction history, neither the bank nor anyone else can calculate your balance!

So it is with PasswordMaker. The account balance is analagous to generated ("calculated") passwords. If even one piece of information is missing, neither PasswordMaker nor anyone else can calculate your passwords.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 04:05:31 AM by Eric H. Jung »

LkonKbd

Please Explain
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 04:27:25 AM »
"SirEric,"

This is "WHY" U R D Man....

ThankU,

Please Explain
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 08:16:33 AM »
Well, that certainly clears things up. Thank you. :)

JaseFace

Please Explain
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 08:18:15 AM »
I just forgot to enter my name on my last post. just wanted to make sure you knew it was me. :)

LkonKbd

Please Explain
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 01:30:18 AM »
I just forgot to enter my name on my last post. just wanted to make sure you knew it was me. :)
"JaseFace,"

Have not any fear about the missing the login, it is even done by others that are long time members.  Including myself, and my alter ego, NativeTexan.

One other point about your password on an existing account and not in PWM YET!  You can use the "Prefix" and the "Suffix" entry boxes on the second page, half of the password in one box and the other half in the other, just to assist in maybe confusing anyone that may be looking over your shoulder or a 'keylogger'.  Once done that way you can log in with realative ease and then when you go in to change the password for that account just remember to remove those entries before creating the new password with PWM.  If you read the "Tips and Tricks" section you will read about this method.

Thank you for reading this,

PasswordMaker Forums

Please Explain
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 01:30:18 AM »