Author Topic: Oops! ...help?  (Read 4831 times)

JJ

Oops! ...help?
« on: November 26, 2005, 11:43:26 AM »
I changed the character set for my default settings meaning to only change it for one account.  Now I can't get the default settings back to the defaults, even after uninstalling and reinstalling the extension.  Is there any way to restore the defaults?  Or failing that is there any way I can find the default character set somewhere?

TIA.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Oops! ...help?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 01:56:07 PM »
Hi JJ,

The default character set is the first one in the drop-down list:

Uinstalling the extension doesn't remove the passwordmaker.rdf file (for safety reasons--so you don't accidentally lose all settings). From the FAQ:

Where is account information and other settings stored? Everything is stored in %ProfileDirectory%/passwordmaker.rdf. If you don't know where your profile directory is, look here.
You can delete passwordmaker.rdf and it PasswordMaker will automatically recreate it (with defaults) next time you start the browser.

Hope that helps,
Eric
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 01:56:44 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Oops! ...help?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 03:35:04 PM »
I've been considering posting an enhancement request on this issue...

Eric, what do you think about this...

Make the 'Default' character sets hard-coded... then, if the user changes one, PM creates a *new* entry in the list, with the modifified character set, making it easy to revert back to a default string if desired.

This would result in the 'Default' character sets being hard-coded/permanent.

It would probably also make sense to have a divider line between User defined/modified character sets, and the hard-coded ones. Personally, I'd add the new, user modified sets at the top of the list, then a divider line, then the hard-coded defaults.

Not a big issue, but I know you were working on adding the ability for the user to add new strings, so this is just a minor variation on that.

What do you think? Should I file an enhancement request?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Oops! ...help?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 03:36:22 PM »
That was me...

Weird - the top of the page showed me as logged in when I posted... then showed me as logged out after the post showed up as from 'Guest'...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Oops! ...help?
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 03:45:33 PM »
Hi tanstaafl,

Glad to see you're still around :)

The outstanding feature request to add/remove/edit your own character sets sort of already covers this. There will be a "notes" or "description" field associated with each character set, and the default character set's description will be "Default" (this will be hard-coded/permanent just as the name & notes fields for the defaults are hard-coded today).

What do you think?

PasswordMaker Forums

Oops! ...help?
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 03:45:33 PM »