Author Topic: Even Default Passwords Do Not Match  (Read 6154 times)

babyface

Even Default Passwords Do Not Match
« on: November 09, 2005, 10:18:49 PM »
Ok, I don't think this problem has already been answered: from the same exact webpage, using the coolkey to fill password fields ALWAYS generates a different password than the one that is displayed when I open the PasswordMaker dialog.

For example, let's say I wanted to sign up for a new yahoo! account (http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_register). If I use the coolkey to fill the password fields on this page using the master password "foobar", I get this password: TL{&dlG2. However, if I open the PassworkMaker dialog box on this same exact webpage and enter the master password "foobar", I get the totally different password: F@0.`r6#.

What's going on!?!?

(I am using Firefox 1.5 beta 2 with v1.3.2 of the PasswordMaker extension installed. I haven't changed any of the default account settings.)

babyface

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 10:31:22 PM »
I also should mention that BOTH the dialog and the coolkey/autofill are using the SAME (Default) account. This is confirmed by: 1) mousing over the ring icon in the statusbar, which displays the Default account settings and 2) the fact that I have no other accounts besides the default account.

(NOTE: if I create a new account with the same url that is displayed in the dialog box in the "using url" field under the default settings, then the autofill option works correctly - i.e., it matches the dialog password - without changing any other settings for the new account. Just thought I would mention this in case it helps debug this problem).

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 11:37:03 PM »
Hello babyface,

(I like the name). I tried replicating the problem and haven't been able to do. Can you tell me what I'm doing differently than you? Here's what I did:
  • Check Global Settings->Show all passwords on web pages as clear text so passwords are visible (not hidden with asterisks)
  • Delete all custom passwordmaker accounts so I only have Default
  • Defaults are:
    • Use master password foobar and save it to disk and memory
    • Domain checkbox checked (no others)
    • No username
    • Auto-populate username & password is unchecked
    • L33t: Not at all
    • Hash Algorithm: MD5
    • Password Length: 8
    • Characters: 0123456789abcdef
    • No modifier
    • No password prefix
    • No password suffix
  • Close passwordmaker
  • Goto http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_register
  • Use CoolKey on the toolbar or right-mouse-click to populate the two password fields on this page. I get 844925a8.
Now when I open PasswordMaker and enter yahoo.com in the Using URL box (not http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_register ), the same password is displayed in the "Generated Password" section: 844925a8.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 01:16:16 AM »
Hey, that worked! The only thing I changed to match what you tried was to make the character set 0123456789abcdef (before, the character set was on the "default"/strong set, the one that comes up first in the pop-up menu). But, I even tried switching it back to that one and it still works - now the password it generates for yahoo is, F@0.`r6#, whether I use the auto-fill or the dialog (yay!).

I don't know why that fixed it, but hopefully it will stay fixed :)  Thanks for your help!!

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 01:54:30 AM »
GO BABY FACE!

Keith Irwin

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 11:37:51 PM »
I found that I was having a problem getting the manually generated and autofill passwords to match as well.  When I turned on displaying passwords as plain text, the problem went away and has not returned since.  I'm not sure what would cause that, but you might want to look into it if you get a chance.

Keith

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 11:37:51 PM »