Firefox/SeaMonkey/Mozilla/Netscape/Flock Browser Extension > Tips And Tricks

'Defaults' vs. Custom Accounts - When & How

<< < (2/3) > >>

Eric H. Jung:
Avander_be mentioned he uses right-click to invoke PasswordMaker. I just wanted to point out that tanstaafl's comments in the last post apply to both right-click and Alt-~.

avander_be:
tanstaafl & Eric >

I have multiple usernames as explaned earlier but always one a 1 to 1 base ( looking from the url point of view that is), so one username for one site. Let's say:

--- Code: ---username          site(s)
avander             www.car.be www.hardware.fr  ...
avander_be        www.frenchforum.fr  www.dutchforum.be ...
avander@yahoo  mail.yahoo.com    

--- End code ---

I've been foulin' around with two accounts this morning but I still can't figure out how pwm determines which account it has to use when I ask to generate my password using right click and then populate with pwm ( I use the 'clear password' option to see what's going on for now).

To login somewhere I fill in my username and on the password field I ask pwm to fill it in for me but it always serves me the password of the default account.

The only way to get it right is to complete the 'when URL contains' field in the custom account, but this seems to imply that if this username is used for two different sites I'll have to create a third account ( or does the 'when URL contains' supports lists of urls?).

If there's another way to configure pwm i'll b glad to hear it from you guys.

Regards.

Eric H. Jung:
Hi.

--- Quote ---The only way to get it right is to complete the 'when URL contains' field in the custom account, but this seems to imply that if this username is used for two different sites I'll have to create a third account ( or does the 'when URL contains' supports lists of urls?).
--- End quote ---
That is correct. There is a feature request for 'when URL contains' to support a list of URLs, but it hasn't been implemented yet. If you're interested in that feature, I encourage you to vote for it!

tanstaafl:
Hi avander_be,

Ok, yes, I think you simply need to resign yourself to the fact that you need to create a custom account for any URL's that you have more than one username for, because it is the URL that PWM uses to tell one 'password' from another if you are only using the Defaults account, and one 'Account' from another - so, if you have more than one account defined for the same URL, *that* is when PWM will prompt you for which Account to use.

Fyi - I have over 100 Custom Accounts defined. Custom Accounts are just *one* of the most powerful things about PWM, so don't be afraid of them - *use* them! ;)

Now, I just thought of something else that might be happening... if you have more than one username for the same URL, but don't set up separate Accounts for them (which means you are using the 'Defaults' account settings), then both logins are using the *same* password. You can verify this by enabling 'Show all passwords on web pages as clear text' option in the Global Settings.

It also sounds like you might want to vote for a Feature Request of *mine*, whereby, you can elect to have a Modifiable Username Prompt, which means you could have multiple usernames for a single URL, but only have to define one Account for that URL, and if the username you want to log in with is different from the one you have defined in the Account, you just change the username on the fly. Very helpful if you have lots of sites with lots of usernames for each, as I do - I manage multiple domains for multiple Clients, so may have 30+ usernames for a single URL. I have a workaround that I employ for this so I don't have to have a separate Account for each (otherwise I'd have *many* hundreds of Accounts), but it is awkward, and worse, I cannot make use of the auto-populate functionality of PWM - but it does allow me to have different passwords for each user, but only have to define one Account per domain. If you are interested in the details, just ask...

There is also another request for having multiple URL's here, which is almost the opposite (but not quite). It is for accounts that might use different URLs, depending on which server you happen to hit - usually large sites that have multiple servers for redundancy and/or load balancing, but for whatever reason don't have the webserver farm configured to provide a uniform URL.

If you haven't already, you may want to peruse the Feature Request List to see what other tasty treats may have been asked for that you might be interested in.

avander_be:

--- Quote ---Hi.

That is correct. There is a feature request for 'when URL contains' to support a list of URLs, but it hasn't been implemented yet. If you're interested in that feature, I encourage you to vote for it!
--- End quote ---

I'm on my way!    ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version