Author Topic: Migrating to Linux  (Read 6133 times)

Offline sas171

• Normal Members
Migrating to Linux
« on: October 04, 2005, 03:09:14 PM »
I used PasswordMaker on Windows XP as Firefox 1.4 extension, but now I'm working on Linux, Firefox 1.0.7. When I import the settings of Windows account and try to log in, I get the "Invalid Password" error for every site. What's wrong? Are all my passwords lost? Is there some way to get my passwords under Linux?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 03:10:15 PM by sas171 »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Migrating to Linux
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 07:09:37 PM »
Hi sas171,
I didn't see this post until just now. Sorry about the delay. Do you get any errors from PasswordMaker on Linux when you do the import?

-Eric

Offline sas171

• Normal Members
Migrating to Linux
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 10:55:26 PM »
No, just the normal "settings are imported...restart the browser"

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Migrating to Linux
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 11:58:58 PM »
OK, so after you restart the browser, do all the groups and accounts appear in Advanced Options->Accounts tab? If so, that means the import really did work. There's no reason you should have to do this, but do you still have access to your Windows XP PC to compare account settings manually?

I use both Windows XP and Xandros Linux, and have no problems importing/exporting settings to and from both machines. Is there any chance you're simply not using the same master password?

I'm grasping at straws here...

Offline sas171

• Normal Members
Migrating to Linux
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 11:53:38 AM »
Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

OK, I export settings to export.rdf on win32. Log in to Linux and import this file. All groups and accounts are imported (I can see them) but when I'm trying to populate password on the site where I usually login with Passwordmaker, I'm getting "invalid password" error.

Offline quixin

Migrating to Linux
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 02:25:46 PM »
Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to put your settings from one of your accounts into the online version and compare the passwords.  PASSWORDMAKER should generate the same password no matter what OS your using.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Migrating to Linux
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 02:42:02 PM »
You can also see the generated password in the extension by unchecking Advanced Options->Global Settings->Mask Generated Password with Asterisks.

quixin's idea of visually comparing a couple of the generated passwords on both Windows and Linux is a good one.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
Migrating to Linux
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 03:00:04 PM »
Sas, I thought more about your problem. Are you experiencing this on your Linux installation of PasswordMaker? If so, you could please reinstall PasswordMaker?

Also, I think it's very important to compare a couple of the generated passwords visually between your Linux and Windows PasswordMakers by unchecking Mask Generated Password with Asterisks.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 03:00:13 PM by Eric H. Jung »

PasswordMaker Forums

Migrating to Linux
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 03:00:04 PM »