Author Topic: password for different URL not working  (Read 8621 times)

mp

password for different URL not working
« on: July 26, 2005, 10:51:31 PM »
Hi Eric,

I'm using v.7.2. I followed your example on another thread to specify a different password generation criteria for some sites that do not allow special chars.

For example:
The defaultoptions is set use special chars and alphanum chars "0123456789abcdef~!@#$%"

site: abc.com (just an example) allows only alphanum chars
so I've add a new folder and underneath added an account such that the
field 'When URL contains' -> "abc.com" and the field 'use this URL' -> "abc.com"

So when I visit abc.com, the password applied (using right click) contains special chars (coming from the default options) even though I have overriden with a special folder and account as above.

Is this a defect, or am I using this wrongly. Thanks.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 01:51:59 AM »
Hi mp,
From what you described, you're using it correctly. You must make sure the "When URL Contains" field is a subset of the entire site. For example, if you're trying to generate passwords for mail.yahoo.com, you might use yahoo.com for "When URL Contains"

Anyway, this must be a bug if you're using it correctly. Could you let me know how to reproduce it? Screenshots would be helpful, but not necessary.

Thanks,
Eric

mp

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 05:16:00 AM »
default options:

yahoo.com options:

Now whenever I try to login to mail.yahoo.com, it uses the default options - not the yahoo specific settings. It is pretty easy to reproduce.

I can try to help debug this. How do you debug these extensions? Is there a way to step thru the code or is there a console printing of debug messages that I can enable?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 02:44:49 AM »
FYI, I'm working on trying to reproduce this.

Offline Tyrantmizar

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 03:00:34 AM »
Is it possible that this is related to this bug?  I noticed that upgrading PasswordMaker did not remove that bug entirely (seen from the main dialogue, but mine is permenently set on about:blank, so I have no worries).

As seen here:
http://photos22.flickr.com/29150894_6d15ee9d4a_o.png

BTW- I'm just guessing here.  I have no clue what I'm talking about.  Its getting late.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 03:04:39 AM by Tyrantmizar »
Tyrantmizar
- <a href="http://tyrantmizar.blogsome.com/">Check out my blog</a> (shameless plug :P)
- Lord of the Feature Requests / Enhancements Forum - BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
- Lord of the other one, the [url=http://forums.passwordmaker.o

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 03:22:10 AM »
Is it possible that this is related to this bug?
Very perceptive of you. Yes, I do believe they're related, but I'm not sure how yet. The problem you encountered was occuring when the the URL to Match for Default Options (ahem, now called Defaults by request from taanstafl) was set to nothing. In that twisted case, nothing really matched everything. You worked around it by setting the value to about:config.

The real solution is that Defaults should not have a URL to Match and, in fact, I removed that from the RDF for one of the recent releases. I thought that would fix it, but apparently it's still occuring in some cases... like this one.

I'm working on it reproducing it. If anyone can give me steps to do that, it would make fixing it pretty easy and painless.

-Eric

bob

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 01:00:59 AM »
i have been having a similar problem on several sites that i log on to.  has this issue been resolved?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 05:26:47 AM »
Yes, this was resolved a long time ago. What version are you using?

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 08:26:03 PM »

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 09:08:33 PM »
i updated to 0.8.5, and so far it seems to work, i will post again if i have problems

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 10:50:25 PM »
OK, thanks!

-eric

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 10:50:25 PM »