Firefox/SeaMonkey/Mozilla/Netscape/Flock Browser Extension > Tips And Tricks

How to make PWM save a custom password.

(1/5) > >>

quixin:

MODIFIED BY TANSTAAFL ON 10/25/08 TO REFLECT THAT THIS IS OUTDATED

If you want to save a custom password, do so using the 'Advanced Auto-Populate' Tab functionality.

Here is how to make PasswordMaker to save a specific custom password other than the ones it generates.  
* Create a new account (Advanced Options->Accounts tab->New Account)
* Put your current password in the Prefix field
* Change the Generated Password Length field to the length of your current passwordNow PasswordMaker will store only whats in the prefix field for that accounts password.  It doesn't matter what is entered in any other field.  Not even the leet setting will have any effect.

I understand Eric will eventually put a new feature that will allow you to specify a custom password without having to do this work around.

Thanks,

quixin

Eric H. Jung:
Great tip, quixin!

--- Quote ---I understand Eric will eventually put a new feature that will allow you to specify a custom password without having to do this work around.
--- End quote ---
Yes -- very soon.

By the way, you should be aware that password prefixes and suffixes aren't stored encrypted. They're plain text :(   I will change that, too.

LkonKbd:

--- Quote --- Here is how to make PasswordMaker to save a specific custom password other than the ones it generates.  
* Create a new account (Advanced Options->Accounts tab->New Account)
* Put your current password in the Prefix field
* Change the Generated Password Length field to the length of your current passwordNow PasswordMaker will store only whats in the prefix field for that accounts password.  It doesn't matter what is entered in any other field.  Not even the leet setting will have any effect.

I understand Eric will eventually put a new feature that will allow you to specify a custom password without having to do this work around.

Thanks,

quixin
--- End quote ---
"Quixin,"

You can also split that password between the PreFix and the Suffix so if anyone is able to find one the other will still be an item that would need be searched for.

wimh:
As discussed in Tips & Tricks - the short list, this tip is now obsolete.

The way to solve this now is: Go to Account Settings->Advanced Auto-Populate and set "field type" to password

But I think both ways are insecure if you have physical access to the pc where this is stored. You can browse to the page where the password has to be entered, then populate the password field. This can be done without the master password, because it is not required to populate the password field. Now with the right tools, the text in the password field can be read. Even passwordmaker itself is able to do this.

I propose a different workaround:

* Create an account and go to the extended settings.
* Enter your favorite settings and set the correct password length.
* Now check the generated password.
* Enter random text in the Modifier field until the generated password contains only unique characters.
* Now you can map the characters to the required password.For example:

* My password is "secret"
* I set the password length to 6, and Characters to "0123456789abcdef" (for this example)
* The generated password is now "4c69ac". Because the "c" character is twice in the generated password, I need to change the modifier.
* Now I enter "123456" in the modifier field, and the generated password becomes "f46db1". This is fine.
* Now I replace "f" in the character field with "s". 4 with e, 6 with c, .....
* The result is "0t23e5c789aecres", now the generated password is "secret".With the wrong master password something random is generated.
This can be improved by changing the unused characters in random characters.

Miquel 'Fire' Burns:
If there's a great enough want for this, I'll see about making a javascript function that can be used with PasswordMaker to create something like this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version