Author Topic: Separate full URL from URL subset  (Read 7482 times)

Offline breyed

Separate full URL from URL subset
« on: September 17, 2005, 01:49:18 PM »
Occasionally, I need to lookup the password for a URL that I am not entering into Firefox, e.g. telnet://m-net.arbornet.org/ or something that requires IE.  Often when I do this, I happen to have Firefox open, and i would be really handy to press Ctrl+` and paste the URL, and then copy the password to the clipboard.  As it stands however, I have to manually edit the URL to remove all parts except the domain, so that I get the right password.

My suggestion, therefore is modify the PasswordMaker dialog so that it looks like this:

Code: [Select]
Using URL:               telnet://m-net.arbornet.org/    (edit control)
URL subset:              arbornet.org                    (label)
Generated password:      WhAtEvEr                        (label)

I used the term "URL subset" intentionally, since the existing term in PasswordMaker is technically incorrect: the "calculated URL" is usually not really a URL at all.  There may be yet a better name than "URL subset", especially a name that implies that it is a key input to the password generation algorithm.

This same suggestion would apply to the online version.  Right now it is somewhat confusing the way URL field changes when you click a component button above.  It break a UI tenent in that the order in which data is entered affects the result.  That is clicking Domain and then pasting http://passwordmaker.org gives you a different answer than pasting http://passwordmaker.org and then clicking Domain.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 03:45:25 PM »
Hi Ed,

I wanted to let you know I'm still thinking how to reply to this--I'm not ignoring your request. I'll reply again shortly

-Eric

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 03:45:25 PM »