Author Topic: Getting upload/download to work  (Read 9459 times)

Offline defaria

Getting upload/download to work
« on: May 01, 2009, 05:39:55 PM »
I run my own domain (defaria.com). I have Apache and WebDav. I use PM's upload and download facility. Recently it broke and I can't seem to figure out how to get it working again.

The upload/download seems to work OK at home (Ubuntu 9.04, PM 1.7.2, FF 3.0.10) but it fails to work from work (All the same except Windows XP SP 3). I believe it used to work at some point before.

My account for the upload/download is set to use WebDAV and I'm pretty sure my WebDAV username and password is correct. However when I select "Download" it gives me "Error 0x-1". I think I need more info to debug this...

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Re: Getting upload/download to work
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 06:53:47 PM »
I don't use the native PWM upload/download feature, so can't really offer any advice... maybe the error means something to Eric?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 07:39:28 PM »
Win XP SP3 is notorious for WebDAV problems. There is at least one Hotfix from MS supposedly fixing the issue, however it didn't always work for me--some machines it did, some it didn't. I never have WebDAV problems with Vista and other OSs (e.g., Ubuntu). If you google "WinXP WebDAV problem", or similar, you'll see what I mean. There are all sorts of hacks out there to fix it, including registry tweaks, the aforementioned hotfix, voodoo spells, and other fun stuff.

Offline defaria

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »
Not exactly an answer...  :(

IIRC it had, at one time, worked from work fairly well for a few months. Then it broke.

How about giving a little more of an error message than just "Error 0x-1"? IOW, what's happening in the code when this error is being generated?

BTW: I'm not using MS, IE or WebDAV folders in that sense. My server is Fedora Core 3 and I running Apache 2.x with WebDAV there. Additionally I can access it if I give the WebDAV url directly to FF. (Which reminds me, I have to get that WebDAV portion resecured...). If I can get to the file via a WebDAV related URL then why can't PM? If it can get to the file through this URL then the problem is somewhere else, isn't it?

Meantime, is there a way I can transport the file stored on upload to my work (say using a USB stick) and use it at work. I mean if the file is named foo, can I rename it as foo.rdf and import it like a settings file???
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:16:00 AM by defaria »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 12:12:05 AM »
i have no idea without doing a lot of research; that error number comes from firefox.
why wasn't that an answer?
it probably worked for you on WinXP on a different installation.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 12:49:23 PM »

Its an answer, just one you didn't like... ;)

IIRC it had, at one time, worked from work fairly well for a few months. Then it broke.

Windows is notorious for this... probably a Windows update broke it...

Meantime, is there a way I can transport the file stored on upload to my work (say using a USB stick) and use it at work. I mean if the file is named foo, can I rename it as foo.rdf and import it like a settings file???

No need to make it that complicated...

The way I do it is I have a separate backup program that I use for backing up my rdf file and a whole lot of other things... its easier for me to do it this way, because, like I said, I back up a whole lot more that just my rdf file.

All you have to do is REPLACE the rdf file... nothing fancy needed... imho, the import function is misnamed, since it an 'import>REPLACE' rather than a merge...

Main thing to be aware of, is it has to be the same name (passwordmaker.rdf). There is a feature request to Specify Drive/Path of rdf file that you might like to vote for... you have seen the Feature Requests List, haven't you?

It'd really be nice if PWM had a 'sync' function like foxmarks (although I really hate what they are doing to foxmarks with v3, so since I use my own ftp site for my syncing, I just pegged mine at 2.7.2 and will leave it like that until it stops working)...

Offline defaria

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 06:25:34 PM »

Its an answer, just one you didn't like... ;)

Let me rephrase... Not exactly a solution...  :-[

Windows is notorious for this... probably a Windows update broke it...

This is a possibility though I would have thought that if PM would not be able to get to the file then likewise FF would not be able to get to the file either. Yet FF can (I believe IE can too - didn't check that) and PM can't (apparently).

No need to make it that complicated...

The way I do it is I have a separate backup program that I use for backing up my rdf file and a whole lot of other things... its easier for me to do it this way, because, like I said, I back up a whole lot more that just my rdf file.

All you have to do is REPLACE the rdf file... nothing fancy needed... imho, the import function is misnamed, since it an 'import>REPLACE' rather than a merge...

Pretty simple. I'll try it.

Main thing to be aware of, is it has to be the same name (passwordmaker.rdf). There is a feature request to Specify Drive/Path of rdf file that you might like to vote for... you have seen the Feature Requests List, haven't you?

Quite frankly I've been working on numerous other fires and important things. This is not that critical to me.

It'd really be nice if PWM had a 'sync' function like foxmarks (although I really hate what they are doing to foxmarks with v3, so since I use my own ftp site for my syncing, I just pegged mine at 2.7.2 and will leave it like that until it stops working)...

Foxmarks, now call Xmarks, works fine for me. It's very useful. I did wonder that xmarks synchronizes passwords and PM also has passwords. How's that supposed to work together?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 07:00:46 PM »

Let me rephrase... Not exactly a solution...  :-[

Did you even try any of the Windows fixed i see people talking about all over the web? Here's one but there are others, including a hotfix from MS on their website (somewhere....)

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 08:24:41 PM »
Foxmarks, now call Xmarks, works fine for me. It's very useful. I did wonder that xmarks synchronizes passwords and PM also has passwords. How's that supposed to work together?

Dunno... and don't care, I don't want it syncing anything except my bookmarks. When it auto-updated my foxmarks to xmarks, it broke syncing with my private site, and nothing I did could get it working again... that's why I reinstalled foxmarks 2.7.2 - after I modified it to claim it was version 9.9, so I wouldn't have to worry about it auto-updating again.

Offline defaria

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 08:27:38 AM »
Did you even try any of the Windows fixed i see people talking about all over the web? Here's one but there are others, including a hotfix from MS on their website (somewhere....)

Well I don't have the problem at home. I have it at work. And I won't be back there until Monday. Meantime, it seems my WebDAV config here at home doesn't even require a username/password right now and I have to work on that tomorrow.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 08:27:38 AM »