Author Topic: Popup Authentication Boxes?  (Read 4974 times)

Offline owlcroft

• Normal Members
Popup Authentication Boxes?
« on: July 11, 2007, 07:50:44 AM »
Pardon me if this has been asked and answered before (there are a lot of posts here).

In some cases, instead of an on-page form, the required user/pw data is captured by a popup "authentication" box, which I guess is because the server has the wanted page protected by "authentication required" HTTP.  Such boxes do not seem to visible to PWM, though they can be filled in by Firefox's password memorizer.

Is there a way for PWM to handle those that I am not aware of, or do we just fall back on FF's built-in pw manager?

Thanks.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Re: Popup Authentication Boxes?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 12:45:35 PM »
Yes, this is known as 'Basic HTTP Auth', and there is a FR (Feature Request) for it here (I'm the originator of that FR in fact), with a discussion on why it isn't implemented yet (and may never be)...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 03:55:20 PM »
Hi OwlCroft,

Tanstaafl is correct. This is unlikely to be done at least until Firefox 3. With Firefox 3, there may be new ways to access HTTP Basic Auth dialogs... I haven't yet checked.

Offline owlcroft

• Normal Members
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 09:49:12 PM »
Thank you for the prompt answers.

As it turns out, had I been only a bit more diligent, I'd have found the answer in a Search after all.  Sorry to have posted an already answered question, but, again, thanks.

And yes, it would be a most pleasant feature to add if it becomes possible.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 10:01:10 PM »
had I been only a bit more diligent, I'd have found the answer in a Search after all.  Sorry to have posted an already answered question, but, again, thanks.

OMG, don't worry about it. Duplicate questions are no problem. There are thousands of messages here. We can't possibly expect you to read every one (or even 10% of them) before asking your question.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 10:01:10 PM »