Author Topic: URL Contains Field  (Read 4038 times)

Offline TomShay

URL Contains Field
« on: June 20, 2007, 07:00:20 PM »
In the FAQ I see a reference to a "URL Contains" field but I don't see it any place in PWM.

Is this a version specific feature and how would I use this version (Firefox) to use the same password in more then one spot?

Thanks.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
Re: URL Contains Field
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 10:16:27 PM »
Ok, a couple of things...

First, the docs (including the FAQ) are sorely in need of updating. We are currently working on getting a wiki populated and up to date, but that probably won't be done for another couple of weeks...

The reference to 'When URL Contains' is outdated, and has been replaced by the URL Pattern manager, but...

You probably haven't gone into the 'Advanced Settings' menu or link yet, which means you're still using the 'Basic Options', which means you haven't seen this yet...

Click the 'View' menu and choose 'Advanced Options'... and prepare to be overwhelmed... ;)

The 'When URL Contains' functionality has been replaced by the ability to add multiple URL patterns that are used to detect when any given site is visited, and is how PWM knows which site it is visiting. Custom Accounts - which are only available in the Advanced Settings - is one of the more powerful features of PWM...

Please don't hesitate to ask any question here - and please don't start changing passwords until you are more familiar with how it works. When you're ready to start testing, use an unimportant account (like a yahoo email account) that you know you can reset the password for, so if you mess up, you won't be locked out of the account permanently.

All of this said - please don't let me scare you away - PWM is awesome, once you get the hang of it - I couldn't go back to the old way of managing passwords...

Offline TomShay

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 02:24:13 AM »
Just after posting the message I took a long look at the "Patterns" .... and decided that in fact that is where I needed to work.

I have two Firewalls that I've been testing with in two locations (work and home) that are on two small LANs with similar IPs. I've got it working where I can now login locally at either location AND remotely from one location back to the other remote firewall. All with a single Account using multiple Patterns with wildcards..... syncing PWM on both machines.

Pretty cool.

Documentation.... the last great fun thing to do... always.  If I get a chance I'll write up how I did that and submit it as an example.... if would help.

Thanks.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 02:40:59 AM »
Quote from: TomShay
Documentation.... the last great fun thing to do... always.  If I get a chance I'll write up how I did that and submit it as an example.... if would help.

This would definitely help. Feel free to post it here or, if you want to wait until the wiki is ready (it's being worked on right now), you can do it there, too. If you post it here, one of us will try to remember to transfer it to the wiki for you.

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 02:40:59 AM »