Author Topic: restore deleted default and fix coolkey unwanted username  (Read 6877 times)

Offline compass152

• Normal Members
restore deleted default and fix coolkey unwanted username
« on: September 20, 2006, 10:58:41 PM »
Hi!

From the very nature of the deletion you know I am a novice to this well-regarded Firefox extension.

When first installing, I used the latest 1.6 version.  After entering a master password, somehow I modified the default group and entered a username.  When I was setting up new groups and accounts, I would put in different user names, specified URL options "when contains....use"  etc and generated passwords.

But then I tried using the Coolkey, which when asked to populate all fields, kept putting in the original default group username, not the new account's.  I then deleted the Default group.  No luck.

I understand that if I don't accurately input the URL "contains" match, it will use the default.  But how do I change the default if I deleted it?

When I refrain from Coolkey, but instead right click open PasswordMaker, copy pw to clipboard and paste, copy a username and paste, there is no problem.  But the elegance of your extension is to make life simplier, and I haven't been able to do that yet.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled 1.6 extension.  No luck.  Because of the other problem (referenced by other members of this forum) of not able to find URL options "when contains....use" referred to in the Manuals and online, I uninstalled 1.6 and installed 1.5.1.  It automatically imported the previous new accounts and groups, even when I never used the Import function.  Still no luck on the Coolkey username problem.

Can you help me:

1.  solve this unwanted default username problem with Coolkey?
2.  Tell me how to restore the Default group?
3.  How to prevent unasked-for imports of prior specific accounts and groups?
4.  I have several accounts at a financial institution, all with different log on usernames and PWs.  If I set up a PasswordMaker new specific account for each financial account, don't I have to use the same domain/URL description for each?  Or do I have to keep the username blank and use the same password for all accounts?  How do I pull up a choice menu in PWMaker to allow me to click on which account I wish to open?

thx very much
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 12:15:34 AM by cautious »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 12:39:14 PM »
Hi Cautious,

It sounds like the passwordmaker.rdf is corrupted--you should never be able to delete the Default account. I recommend you uninstall PasswordMaker, delete passwordmaker.rdf (it's not deleted when the extension is uninstalled for safety reasons--that's why you had the "unasked-for imports"), then reinstall version 1.6.

That should fix all of your problems.

-Eric

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 12:43:26 PM »
I just tested (in case a bug was introduced), and am unable to delete the Defaults, so I agree, sounds like you have some kind of corruption.

Eric - any chance of disabling/greying out the 'Delete selection' choice in the right-click menu when the Defaults is right-clicked on?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 02:33:17 AM »
Yes, I can disable the delete option but I thought the current pop-up was more explanatory... no? Sometimes people wonder if something's disabled that perhaps there's a way to enable it.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 10:58:32 AM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
Yes, I can disable the delete option but I thought the current pop-up was more explanatory... no? Sometimes people wonder if something's disabled that perhaps there's a way to enable it.
Hadn't thought of that... yeah, I guess its best if they understand that they can't be deleted, but maybe a short explanation of *why* they can't be deleted would be in order... something like:

"The default settings cannot be deleted, because these are the settings used with any site for which you have not created a custom account with customized settings."
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 10:59:09 AM by tanstaafl »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 04:39:35 PM »
Got it. Message updated. It will be in the next release.

Offline compass152

• Normal Members
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 07:07:43 AM »
Thanks to Eric and the Moderator for the good advice.  I think I have the hang of it now.  But. . .

Aren't the settings still susceptible to mischief?  I note that even with the master password cleared, someone can still open PWMaker and ERASE/DELETE accounts etc.  While the intruder may not know your passwords yet, isn't it vulnerable to someone erasing one's hard work setting up custom accounts etc. and leaving you in the lurch without passwords?  Or am I missing something?

Cautious

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 11:01:31 AM »
Quote from: cautious
Thanks to Eric and the Moderator for the good advice.  I think I have the hang of it now.  But. . .

Aren't the settings still susceptible to mischief?  I note that even with the master password cleared, someone can still open PWMaker and ERASE/DELETE accounts etc.  While the intruder may not know your passwords yet, isn't it vulnerable to someone erasing one's hard work setting up custom accounts etc. and leaving you in the lurch without passwords?  Or am I missing something?

Cautious
Yes, this is a good point, and the reason for the Encrypt Passwordmaker RDF file Feature Request.

I just took the liberty of adding a vote from you for this Feature - please let me know if you want me to remove it - and also, please feel free to browse the full Feature Request List and vote for any other Features you'd like to see added. You get 5 votes, so you have 4 left...

Regards,

Charles

Offline compass152

• Normal Members
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 11:49:53 PM »
You have my vote.  thanks.

Since I use Win XP Pro on several computers with on the fly encryption, I am thinking of just emailing to myself on webmail an XP Pro encrypted exported rdf file with the settings for each XP Pro computer/certificate.  While it does not solve the situtation where someone gains both physical possession of the laptop and access to the User Profile, it does address the problem of network/web intrusion, while providing on the fly convenience.  That way I can retrieve my settings remotely as a backup.  What do you think?

Cautious

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 12:30:51 PM »
Quote from: cautious
You have my vote.  thanks.

Since I use Win XP Pro on several computers with on the fly encryption, I am thinking of just emailing to myself on webmail an XP Pro encrypted exported rdf file with the settings for each XP Pro computer/certificate.  While it does not solve the situtation where someone gains both physical possession of the laptop and access to the User Profile, it does address the problem of network/web intrusion, while providing on the fly convenience.  That way I can retrieve my settings remotely as a backup.  What do you think?
Sounds like a plan...

It will indeed be nice once the RDF file can be encrypted with a separate password (and maybe a keyfile), and once you can specify an arbitrary name/location...

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 12:30:51 PM »