Author Topic: Site password-field features standard  (Read 4963 times)

Offline nicerobot

Site password-field features standard
« on: September 27, 2006, 12:55:23 AM »
This is not really a request for passwordmaker. More hoping passwordmaker.org can push for standards to include fields in HTML forms (and xforms?) or a site-level file to indicate the features the particular site's passwords require/support. These fields or this file would be very much like an account entry in your RDF file.
This would allow utilities like passwordmaker to automatically configure for account creation or password generation.
In fact, if you just implement a check for an RDF at the current URL and at the root for the domain users could start integrating it into any sites they run and it could hopefully become a standard
So I guess this was a feature request after-all.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 01:40:33 PM »
Quote from: nice
This is not really a request for passwordmaker. More hoping passwordmaker.org can push for standards to include fields in HTML forms (and xforms?) or a site-level file to indicate the features the particular site's passwords require/support. These fields or this file would be very much like an account entry in your RDF file.
This would allow utilities like passwordmaker to automatically configure for account creation or password generation.
In fact, if you just implement a check for an RDF at the current URL and at the root for the domain users could start integrating it into any sites they run and it could hopefully become a standard  ... So I guess this was a feature request after-all.
Hmmm... interesting idea, but I imagine PWM would have to really become in widespread use before this would have any chance of happening...

Eric? Should we add this to the 'Supremely Difficult Features' list?

Offline nicerobot

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 08:16:59 PM »
Quote from: tanstaafl
Hmmm... interesting idea, but I imagine PWM would have to really become in widespread use before this would have any chance of happening...
Not necessarily. If the file format were independent of PWM it can just be considered a standard for password protected sites. Javascript libraries can be used by web developers to load the RDF to perform password verification instead of requiring full-blown PWM generation.
Quote from: tanstaafl
Eric? Should we add this to the 'Supremely Difficult Features' list?
I haven't looked at the internals of PWM but this seems like a relatively simple thing to implement. It just entails attempting to load RDFs from the current URI and from the site's root before (or in addition to, e.g. for username) using the local RDF.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 08:24:46 PM »
I only just saw this post now. Damn broken e-mail notification!

This is a good idea and not difficult to implement, but why would any website participate?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 08:33:23 PM »
Quote from: nice
Not necessarily. If the file format were independent of PWM it can just be considered a standard for password protected sites.
I meant 'Supremely Difficult' in the sense of getting others to participate...

I do like the idea though...

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 08:33:23 PM »