Author Topic: PasswordMaker 1.6 beta 1 for Frfx/Moz/Netscp/Flock  (Read 23404 times)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
PasswordMaker 1.6 beta 1 for Frfx/Moz/Netscp/Flock
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 06:54:35 PM »
it still looks like it should work without the trailing asterisk
Think of how wildcards work. Asterisk matches anything of any length, question mark matches any single character. Everything else matches exact character-for-character. So if you append an asterisk to the end and prepend one to the beginning, this is the same meaning as the old "Where URL Contains".

If you don't include the trailing asterisk, for example: *tmp.gary.net/ then you'll match things like https://tmp.gary.net/ and http://foo.tmp.gary.net/, but not http://foo.tmp.gary.net/bar

By the way, the patterns help page is now complete.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 06:55:27 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 07:10:34 PM »
Quote from: Eric H. Jung
Think of how wildcards work. Asterisk matches anything of any length, question mark matches any single character. Everything else matches exact character-for-character. So if you append an asterisk to the end and prepend one to the beginning, this is the same meaning as the old "Where URL Contains".
Actually, I know this - but I forgot that the URL in question actually did have something at the end (/forums). So, yes, it was working as it should have. Sorry for the confusion...

By the way, the patterns help page is now complete.
Cool! I'm assuming this will be available from the URL's Tab in the Advanced Settings dialog?

Thanks again...

By the way, two more things on the UI...

First, a niggling little question - any chance of an 'Edit' button? Maybe just have it load the value into the 'expressed by' box, and convert the 'Add' button to a 'Save' button?

Second, any chance of a confirmation dialog on the Delete button? I already deleted two accidentally (I know, I know... but hey, if I did it, I'm sure someone else somewhere will too...)...

Other than that, I'm really loving it! Very powerful...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 07:29:23 PM »
Second, any chance of a confirmation dialog on the Delete button? I already deleted two accidentally (I know, I know... but hey, if I did it, I'm sure someone else somewhere will too...)...
Yes. No problem.

any chance of an 'Edit' button? Maybe just have it load the value into the 'expressed by' box, and convert the 'Add' button to a 'Save' button?
This is a little more involved. I'll try.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 07:50:51 PM »
any chance of an 'Edit' button? Maybe just have it load the value into the 'expressed by' box, and convert the 'Add' button to a 'Save' button?
This is a little more involved. I'll try.
No worries - its not critical, but would make it easier, especially when playing with a regex until you get it working the way you want.

In fact, simply adding a 'Copy pattern' menu choice when the pattern in the list is right-clicked would be enough - just so you don't have to retype the entire regex each time...

That said, currently only two choices are available - 'Delete pattern', and a greyed out 'Add pattern'. Why the greyed out 'Add pattern?

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2006, 11:40:08 PM »
Why the greyed out 'Add pattern?
It's only greyetd out until you start typing a pattern. Is that too confusing?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 11:40:33 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 02:17:24 AM »
I didn't get to the forums here until late, so I couldn't really test last night at all.

1) FF 2.0b2 default themes is really cool (for a default theme anyway) and I may not use another one right away when it's finally released outside of Beta/Release Client (In others words, my testing was with Firefox 2.0 Beta 2 only so far)

2) Having to retype a Regexp is really annoying as heck (when you're trying to match, oh https://www.google.com/a/miquelfire.com, and ensure that the "a/" part is always caught in case Google decides to change it AGAIN!), at the very least, do the copy button idea, but edit would be preferred.

Otherwise, very cool. Soon I'll be able to remove them annoying accounts for Nintendo's various websites.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006, 10:41:41 AM »
It's only greyetd out until you start typing a pattern. Is that too confusing?
Ahh... actually, yes, I think it is - or at least, its non-intuitive. I would never add a new pattern after typing it by right-clicking, so I would vote to remove it from the right-click menu... but its no big deal...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2006, 03:27:18 PM »
Right-click menu,  I didn't know we were talking about that. Do you want the Add button enabled all the time?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 04:10:34 PM »
No, having it greyed out until a pattern to match on is actually entered makes sense...

It was just the right-click menu choice of 'Add Pattern' that was confusing to me. I can understand right-clicking on an existing one to delete it, but since you have to add something to the pattern ('expressed by' box) before the 'Add pattern' option is enabled, it just doesn't make sense to have it (the 'Add Pattern' choice) in the right-click menu.

But thats just me...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 03:02:29 AM »
By the way, with regards to the phishing prevention: Firefox 2 includes built-in phishing prevention and there are now numerous phishing extensions. Do we really need PasswordMaker to tackle that, too?
Are you using OpenDNS yet?

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2006, 10:28:19 AM »
Are you using OpenDNS yet?
I actually tried that about a month ago on our primary DNS server, but I seemed to notice some slowdowns and more 'Page cannot be displayed' issues...

Are you using it? If so, what is your experience with it?

Offline quixin

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2006, 02:31:21 PM »
Yes, I still exist! Its awesome to see one of my requests put in (back from July 05!).  I still stop by the forums when I have some free time and I still use PasswordMaker on the daily!  

Nick

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2006, 02:59:11 PM »
Quote from: quixin
Yes, I still exist! Its awesome to see one of my requests put in (back from July 05!).  I still stop by the forums when I have some free time and I still use PasswordMaker on the daily!

Nick
Hey Nick,

Good to hear from you again... hope all is well...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2006, 05:08:10 PM »
Quixin! Welcome. I hope to see more of you around!

Are you using it? If so, what is your experience with it?
No, I don't use it because neither me nor my wife (so far) have been duped by phishing attacks. If you're a network admin for hundreds of people, that's a different story...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 05:08:44 PM by Eric H. Jung »

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2006, 03:36:46 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation dialog!

Now, there is just one last thing to complete the UI/behavior for this most excellent new feature...

Any chance of inserting the 'Pattern Name' in the dialog, so there is visual confirmation for which one is about to be deleted?

Currently, it just says 'Delete pattern. Are you sure?'... It would be better if it said something like: 'Delete pattern 'Pattern Name'... are you sure?'

Not a big deal, really, and the benefit isn't worth a lot of work on your part, but if it's a simple matter of inserting a variable into the string, it would be nice.

Thanks again Eric... PM rocks!

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2006, 03:36:46 PM »