Ok, how about this...
New Feature Request: Advanced Password Character Set Characteristics
This Feature Request (FR) is intended to replace and add to the 'Edit the list of predefined character sets' FR, and to incorporate the suggestion above from forbin, to provide similar functionality to Password Agents method for providing character set availabiloity for password generation. This request was originally made by 'forbin' here, and can be broken down as follows:
1. Rename the 'Extended' tab on the Account Specific Settings window to something more meaningful, like 'Password Characteristics' or something similar.
2. Provide a simple way to enable/disable (via check-box) certain character sets, ala Password Agent, ie:
Upper case (letters)
Lower case (letters)
Maybe even have a few extra options for ordering each one, ie: 'a-z', 'z-a', 'randomize'
Some additional possibilities (from the PasswordMaker Character Tips in PWM):
Non-english characters (checking this box selects all three sub-choices below)
Diacritical marks (each of these sub-choices can be individually enabled/disabled)
Diacresis marks "
Ligature marks "
3. As currently provided by PWM, provide the combo-box allowing the user to select from some pre-defined characters sets, with the following conditions/additions:
a. certain ones provided by the system should NOT be editable, but should always be available for backwards-compatability.
b. add a 'Create New' choice, and provide a pop-up window that allows the user to create their own custom character set using the same options as described above, ie - they can define their new character set to include all characters, by simply checking all 4 checkboxes
c. Optionally allow the user to name the Character Set. If they leave the name blank, PWM should simply name it with a date/time string.
4. Add a new field: 'Ignore Characters' (or something similar) - any characters placed into this field will be subtracted from the character set that is defined for that particular account. This was previously requested by me here
The purpose for this last new field is simple:
a. It makes it very easy to use all of the characters possible, while disallowing the one or more characters that some stupid site won't let you use, and
b. It makes it very easy to see at a glance which characters are being used - otherwise, you might have to carefully examine a huge, long string of characters to see which ones were individually deleted.
5. Lastly, when a Character Set is created for an Account, a final option should be 'Randomize', which would randomize (after individual 'randomize' options if they were checked), and then once the character set is generated it should automatically be added to the 'Custom Character Sets' list, with a simple date. Or, possibly, PWM could prompt for a name? Regardless, the User should always be able to rename any Custom Character Sets they have created. Also, *Custom* Character Sets should have an 'Edit' option, so that I can rename and/or make changes to it anytime I want.