Author Topic: ` remains in keyboard buffer after Ctrl-` of Alt-`  (Read 9785 times)

gewe

` remains in keyboard buffer after Ctrl-` of Alt-`
« on: February 01, 2006, 08:03:15 AM »
When I use Ctrl-` or Alt-`, Passwordmaker does what it is supposed to do (open settings window, populate username/password fields).

The ` character however, remains in the keyboard buffer, until another key is pressed. This is normal behaviour for the US-International keyboard layout when ` is typed, just in case the next key can be combined with it (like: ` and a gives à). Apparently this also happens when ` is used combined with Ctrl or Alt.

It took me some time to find out why after I entered the master password, Passwordmaker would always say "passwords do not match". It was the ` that caused this. (The password is shown as asterisks, so the difference is invisible if the password starts with a vowel.)

It would be nice if Passwordmaker could "eat" the ` character from the buffer, after being invoked by Ctrl-` or Alt-`.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 01:59:35 PM »
Hi gewe,

I'll look into this. It could be difficult because we'll need to distinguish keyboard types. Are you using US-International?

Thanks,
Eric

gewe

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 07:43:07 AM »
Hi gewe,

I'll look into this. It could be difficult because we'll need to distinguish keyboard types. Are you using US-International?

Thanks,
Eric

Yes, I am. So every time I use Passwordmaker I run into this behaviour. Would be nice to see it solved.

I am no expert on low level keyboard handling, but could it be possible to just examine what is in the buffer, without having to distinguish the keyboard types? Or to check if the `key is a dead key?

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 02:27:12 PM »
Normal US keyboards (non International ones at least) don't have this issue it seems.

[edit] Wait, is this a setting in Windows though?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 02:27:49 PM by miquelfire »
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 03:52:50 PM »
Wait, is this a setting in Windows though?
I am sure it can be tweaked that way (Control Panel->Keyboards). I don't have a US-International keyboard to find out, though.

gewe, in the worst case you can always change the Ctrl-`and Alt-`shortcuts so they are mapped to another key. From the FAQ:

How can I change PasswordMaker's shortcuts (ctrl-` and alt-`) to something else?

Install the KeyConfig Extension. Scroll down to the PasswordMaker entry and change the shortcuts to anything you like. Changes won't take effect until you restart Firefox/Mozilla.

gewe

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 08:41:50 AM »
I am sure it can be tweaked that way (Control Panel->Keyboards). I don't have a US-International keyboard to find out, though.
The US-International keyboard is physically a US keyboard. It is just a software setting that makes some keys (like ' ` ~ " ^) behave like "dead keys", just like they do on mechanical typewriters. These keys make typing characters like ñ ë à ê easier.
So, if you have a US-layout keyboard, you can configure it as US-International.

gewe, in the worst case you can always change the Ctrl-`and Alt-`shortcuts so they are mapped to another key.
Thanks for the tip. I now use Ctrl-\ and Alt-\. (First tried Ctrl-1 and Alt-1, but that didn't work.)

chris

Re: ` remains in keyboard buffer after Ctrl-` of Alt-`
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 05:57:02 PM »
Um, sorry, but I can't figure out how to remap this hotkey?!?
I'm having the same problem with the US-international keyboard.
I can't use the coolkey because of it...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 06:26:05 PM »
Um, sorry, but I can't figure out how to remap this hotkey?!?
I'm having the same problem with the US-international keyboard.
I can't use the coolkey because of it...

Have you installed the KeyConfig Firefox extension?

chris

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 08:38:58 PM »
sweet, thanks!

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 08:38:58 PM »