Author Topic: confirm master password by typing it twice?  (Read 9248 times)

pwxyzg

confirm master password by typing it twice?
« on: December 19, 2005, 01:13:06 PM »
wonderful widget, but I am having a problem and would appreciate some help alleviating my concern and/or ignorance! :D  Let me say.. I have searched the forums for this issue and have come up empty.

I have checked:
"confirm master password by typing it twice instead of once"

well, I only type in the master password once and then can just copy the generated password without ever having to type it twice.  additionally, I can add/delete characters in the middle of the master password at any time without having to enter it twice.

my concern, and what I thought the idea of typing it twice would eleviate, is that if I mess up on the master password once, I may never be able to generate the same password again?

my expectation was that after typing in the master password, if I hit enter after typing the master password, clicked on "copy generated password" or in fact clicked anywhere on the window (since I could just copy and paste the generated password), it would ask me to type in the password again to confirm before I copied. If I made any modification to the master password field I would hope that it would also ask for confimation.

I would appreciate any further explanation.

Offline tanstaafl

• God Member
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 01:32:39 PM »
Hi,

No, you are misunderstanding how it works...

When you enable Master Password Confirmation, you have to enter it twice whenever you are prompted for it (the Master Password). Then, if they don't match, it fails (does NOT populate the password field), letting you know that there is a typo in one of them.

Same logic when changing a password for any site - you enter the current password once, then the new password twice - if the two new passwords don't match, the change password fails.

pwxyzg

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 03:41:59 PM »
so, when are you prompted for it (the master password)?

I only get prompted when I click on/off
"mask generated password with asterisks"

or

"hide master password field.."

after i have already entered a master password.  I am getting the feeling something is either not working right, or I am not working with it right..

I have just updated firefox and am using v1.3.3 of passwordmaker.

this is what I do:
when I try to use the program, I am usually on the site that needs the password. I click the ring at the bottom right of the browser, it opens passwordmaker (I have advanced options on).. I enter my master password, the generated password is generated while I am typing, so I could stop at any time and have a password based on an incomplete or wrong master password. I either cut and paste the password myself ctrl-c/v or I hit the button 'copy generated password to clipboard' button then paste it where needed. I am never prompted to confirm or enter the master password twice.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 04:03:18 PM »
Hi pwxyzg,

The "Confirm master password by typing it twice" feature is only half implemented. It's not complete yet. Currently, you only get prompted for the master password (MPW) twice when you use auto-populate, CoolKey, or when right-clicking on a password field and selecting Populate With PasswordMaker.

The incomplete portion of the "Confirm master password by typing it twice" feature is to provide another input box under the current MPW input box on the Basic and Advanced Options dialogs. This will be done shortly.

Thanks,
Eric
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 04:03:54 PM by Eric H. Jung »

pwxyzg

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 05:26:26 PM »
Eric!

thanks so much.. after the first reply, I thought I was somehow in some weird space-time continuum (which incidentally is not disproven by your post!?, only gives a bit of evidence to the contrary which does not totaly negate that I still could be in said space-time-continuum :D).

again, thanks for clearing it up!

I want to say, I find the passwordmaker conceptually BRILLIANT. I literally put hand to forehead and said outloud 'why didn't I think of that?'

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 09:42:38 PM »
I want to say, I find the passwordmaker conceptually BRILLIANT. I literally put hand to forehead and said outloud 'why didn't I think of that?'
Thanks! But I want you to find the extension brilliant, too. What can be done to make it slick?

pwxyzg

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 10:34:05 PM »
hmm.. unsure if you are being rhetorical or not.. but, well, I havent' played with the extension too much but if the confirm password twice was functional I would say it would be ready to roll or rather .. slick!  

I am simply all thumbs when typing (particularly passwords) .. I have found that the double entry of passwords were done with people like me in mind!

I did just come up with a work around when creating a login to give me some piece of mind without having to save the password on the disk .. I make sure the generated password is visible, and set the application such that it saves the password in memory.

Anyway, I open a blank page, start the application, input the master password  .. take a look at the generated password.. if it matches the one I have now memorized that it should be then I am a-ok... I close the application, and open it again in the other site. It gives me some piece of mind.. just hope I dont' get lazy and skip my control step

.. did I mention that I am lazy too? ;)

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 02:30:50 AM »
Fixed in 1.4.1.

pwxyzg

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 03:40:13 PM »
awesome!.. thanks so much!

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 03:40:13 PM »