Author Topic: Import passwordmaker.rdf from remote location  (Read 40217 times)

Offline quixin

Import passwordmaker.rdf from remote location
« on: September 19, 2005, 08:25:49 PM »
If you have Windows XP (not sure if this applies to other versions) you can import your passwordmaker.rdf from a remote location by using Win XP's ability to load a URL through the open field.  For example, I can manually upload my password file from work to my FTP site.  When I get home I can simply open PasswordMaker, Choose 'Import Setting', type the URL to the passwordmaker.rdf into the 'File Name:' field and the file will be loaded right into PasswordMaker.

There is already a request to have PasswordMaker upload settings to an FTP address.  If your looking for that feature, make sure to go and vote for it under the Feature Requests/Enhancement forum.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 11:01:01 PM by quixin »

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 10:40:55 PM »
Hi quixin, can you give us an example? A screenshot or even just how/where you enter the URL of the remote site...

Offline quixin

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 11:00:24 PM »
Absolutely.

This is in the window directly after File/Import Settings... (or CTRL-I).  It would normally be the location of the file on your hard drive or disk or wherever you stored your password file.  This field will not only point to a local location but to any URL.

If you choose to store your password file on an FTP site it basically just saves you a step of saving the file from that location and then importing.

redface

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 07:21:11 PM »
Can this also be done by simply copying the rdf file to portable media such as a flash drive and then copying it over the rdf file on the remote machine?

Offline quixin

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 07:27:04 PM »
Can this also be done by simply copying the rdf file to portable media such as a flash drive and then copying it over the rdf file on the remote machine?
Absolutely, as well as e-mail as an attachment and any other way you have the ability of transporting the file from one location to another.

redface

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 07:28:17 PM »
Great!

redface

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 11:28:57 PM »
as well as e-mail as an attachment
If I do this, is it encrypted? It seems flagrant to attach a file called "passwordmaker" to an email...

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 01:22:34 AM »
If I do this, is it encrypted?
The master password -- if you choose to store it in the exported file -- is encrypted. The other stuff isn't, but it's useless to anyone who doesn't have the master password.

It seems flagrant to attach a file called "passwordmaker" to an email
You can name the file anything you want. It just has to end with .rdf when you import it back into PasswordMaker.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 01:41:52 AM »
So call it virus.exe during transport and rename it back to x.rdf, before import.
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 03:53:45 PM »
OK. I get it. Good idea. Thanks!

LkonKbd

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 01:58:05 PM »
So call it virus.exe during transport and rename it back to x.rdf, before import.
"Romeo,"

Yea, right -  name it 'virus.exe' and some ISP in the path may decide that should not be getting through and 'Del' may take effect.  I know that is an example, but; some of the 'DUMMIES', like myself, may attempt just that and then when they cannot find the file, "PANIC TIME" or maybe even a HEART ATTACK because they told the Boss they could do that and now they have lost HIS passwords.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 09:01:46 PM »
LkonKbd,

You tried it, didn't you ?  And your ISP did just what you said, he blew it away, right ?  :lol:

No, I was just giving an extreme example to make it clear that the export can be renamed to anything and then named back to the original, before import.

Obviously, some filename that is not usually used for executables would be much preferred.
It is impossible to create a fool-proof system, because fools are ingenious.

LkonKbd

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 07:55:45 PM »
Quote from: Romeo
LkonKbd,

You tried it, didn't you ?  And your ISP did just what you said, he blew it away, right ?  

No, I was just giving an extreme example to make it clear that the export can be renamed to anything and then named back to the original, before import.

Obviously, some filename that is not usually used for executables would be much preferred.

HEY, Romeo,

Have been a little busy on other projects and just now getting back to looking over some of my other posts, even working in the yard some.  BAG!!  Any Who? to the above, NO, I did NOT do just that, just another EXTREME example 4U2.  Even you could do just that to your own file if you have forgotten what you had done.  Short memory?  Yea, especially when you do not use your system for several days like I am guilty of.

Here is a possible sig for U if you want to use it,

"I thought I knew that I knew what I thought,
 but; now I know what I thought I knew isn't
 what I know I think I thought I knew . . ."
Author UnKnown

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 07:55:45 PM »