Author Topic: How to make PWM save a custom password.  (Read 874996 times)

Offline tanstaafl

Re: How to make PWM save a custom password.
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 03:22:32 PM »
Meganox...

This Tip/Trick is outdated now, with the advent of the 'Advanced Auto-Populate' tab/functionality. I've modified to the first post to indicate this, and will add a new Tip/Trick later this weekend.

Quote from: meganox
PM doesn't currently do this (encrypt passwords) for passwords saved with advanced auto-complete,

While true for passwords saved according to this Tip/Trick, again, it is moot.

If you want to save a 'current' password, use the 'Advanced Auto-Populate' tab, and save it there in a 'password' field type - this WILL be encrypted. Be aware though that only fields of type 'password' are encrypted, OTHER field types are not. I think Eric agrees that this is a shortcoming, but once the RDF file itself is capable of being encrypted, it will render this shortcoming moot.

LkonKbd

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 05:14:57 PM »
No matter how you look at the different ways of generating or saving a password . . . the safest I feel is 'generation' with a MASTER password that is also encrypted and NOT saved on the 'HarDisc', in memory only.  So it will need to be reentered on each restart.

Also, if I may(?), any tip/trick entered and has been made 'moot' by updates should either be removed or so noted by some method chosen by Admins to prevent confusion or misunderstanding.  Maybe by entry of the version update that has replaced or made it not necessary.

Offline tanstaafl

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 07:59:24 PM »
Also, if I may(?), any tip/trick entered and has been made 'moot' by updates should either be removed or so noted by some method chosen by Admins to prevent confusion or misunderstanding.  Maybe by entry of the version update that has replaced or made it not necessary.

I already do this on the Tips & Tricks - the short list post, that summarizes the current 'best of'...

LkonKbd

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 09:56:16 PM »
Thank you, just attempting to keep these as short as possible. 

Offline meganox

• Normal Members
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 10:44:05 AM »
If you want to save a 'current' password, use the 'Advanced Auto-Populate' tab, and save it there in a 'password' field type - this WILL be encrypted. Be aware though that only fields of type 'password' are encrypted, OTHER field types are not. I think Eric agrees that this is a shortcoming, but once the RDF file itself is capable of being encrypted, it will render this shortcoming moot.

I meant advanced auto-populate, and I was wrong about it not being encrypted  :) 

But it is not currently protected by the master password, i.e. it is auto-filled regardless, I hope this will be fixed when the rdf file gets encrypted.

Offline tanstaafl

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »

But it is not currently protected by the master password, i.e. it is auto-filled regardless, I hope this will be fixed when the rdf file gets encrypted.

I don't save any passwords this way, but I don't think it populates it if you have saved the Master Password Hash - does it? If it does, then I think that certainly is a bug...

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 12:51:48 PM »
I believe if it's not controlled by the master password, it's populated.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline meganox

• Normal Members
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 01:06:41 PM »
I believe if it's not controlled by the master password, it's populated.

You are prompted for the master password but if you press cancel it fills in the password anyway, however Eric knows about this bug.  I'm thinking if the whole rdf is encrypted the master password will be necessary to get any data whatsoever onto the page.  I GPG encrypt my rdf when I take my laptop on the road and will set up encrypted partitions next time I reinstall my OS, so I'm not too worried about it at the moment.

Offline Eric H. Jung

• grimholtz
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 11:47:58 PM »
I'm not particularly interested in encyrpting the RDF anymore since we've been recommending the use of TrueCrypt. Is there something I'm missing?

Offline tanstaafl

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 10:16:52 AM »
I'm not particularly interested in encyrpting the RDF anymore since we've been recommending the use of TrueCrypt. Is there something I'm missing?
Maybe the fact that grandma probably isn't intereste din using Truecrypt, and I'm not interested in having to force her to in order to be able to protet her RDF file.

I think pwm should be capable of encrypting the RDF file itself, and not force you to rely on a third party application to protect its settings.

Just mho...

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 10:16:52 AM »