Author Topic: Firefox 55 onwards  (Read 6765 times)

Offline DickEmery

• Normal Members
Firefox 55 onwards
« on: September 04, 2017, 10:06:10 PM »
So what's going to happen to PM after all the old addons go out of the window?

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: Firefox 55 onwards
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 01:12:15 AM »
Best bet would be if someone ported one of the Chrome extensions.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline kwutchak

• Normal Members
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:10:25 AM »
Hey all,

I understand that Eric created and has been looking after the Firefox extension for more than a decade now.  I've also noted that many extension authors are struggling with the new Firefox Api's, and in many cases asking for financial support in upgrading their plugins.

I also know that my family and I depend on the Firefox plugin to secure our access to password secured websites; I was shocked to find it no longer worked when I finally got around to upgrading Firefox.

There are many reasonable reasons why the plugin might no longer being maintained.  In particular, after a decade, I'd be surprised if Eric wasn't quite sick of the code.  Is the plugin lacking development resources, money for the rewrite, or perhaps it is not even possible to implement under the new Api's?

Offline sdean7855

• Normal Members
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 12:44:02 PM »
Or the question might be a more open-ended 'Where do we go from here'?  This morning FFx crashes immediately on me, can only be started in Safe Mode and disabling all extensions doesn't help.  The FFx mothership tells you're aren't allowed to/can't rollback (thanks, Big Brother).  A refresh sortakinda works, but now I've lost my lovingly customized over the years config and there's no way to get it back.  Of course, this is much, much better for me (Mozilla tells me this I know, cuz Mozilla tells me so).
And I have a raft of logins out there with PM generated login pws.  What to do, what to do?  Considerations:
  • Is FFx going to be shitty unstable or is this really the sunrise of a new better world that will last (preposterous assumption/wish. but please inform.)
  • Is there another substantial, non-evil, browser platform (thank you Google, I don't trust you, your benevolence and thus nor do I trust Chrome)
  • Will PM be around in the future?  Does Eric Jung and the PM team exist?  Is there some preferred browser platform that might be best/most supported.
I'm 70 and, after a career of churn at IBM and the backend Unix support for a small college, am tired of churn.  Would be nice to have PM around for another 10 years or so until I croak.

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 12:30:32 AM »
As far as keeping PW around on FF, I'm aware of this: https://github.com/passwordmaker/chrome-passwordmaker/pull/163

There might be other extensions, but they may break with FF55 as well.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline kwutchak

• Normal Members
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:19:49 PM »
@sdean7855, are you aware of Pale Moon?

I came across this fork of Firefox when I started looking into the issue of PasswordMaker on Firefox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Moon_(web_browser)
http://www.palemoon.org/

Working on installing it now myself.  With luck it'll be at least a stop gap measure.

Offline kwutchak

• Normal Members
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 12:08:51 AM »
Update: at the very least I can confirm that PasswordMaker works just fine under Pale Moon...

Offline urg

• Normal Members
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 06:19:18 AM »
I'd be happy to port/help port the plugin (quite necessary for me).

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 06:19:18 AM »