Author Topic: Chosing a version  (Read 5367 times)

Offline fionag11

• Normal Members
Chosing a version
« on: May 05, 2016, 03:57:34 AM »
Hello, new user here!

For a long time I've been wondering what to do about password security, and I'm very excited to have found this solution.

Before I jump in and start changing all my passwords, I want to clarify something.

Will the automatically generated passwords be the same whichever version I use - like if I use the Firefox extension at home, but the online version at work? Should I pick one version and stick with it, or are they interchangable?

If I decide to use the online version only (I like the idea of something that will work everywhere) - does that have any limitations? Like, I am guessing, correct me if I am wrong, no way to store custom settings used for certain websites?

Thanks!
Fiona

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
Re: Chosing a version
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 02:42:39 PM »
The online version should be on par with the Firefox version. Only if you're dealing with country codes they might not work the same (like a .co.uk, though that example SHOULD work actually)

The only limitations for the online version I know of is the settings are stored in cookies, so unless you can back that up, you'll lose your settings, and the store custom setting used for certain website is handled with the profile option, but there's no link as to which site uses which profile. The profile thing works like having multiple default accounts with the Firefox version.  Custom sites with the FF version is likely phishable compared to using the default site.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

Offline fionag11

• Normal Members
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 03:50:58 PM »
Thank you Miguel!

Hmm...I've just tried logging into this site from a public computer. The online form wouldn't work (didn't generate a password) - maybe because this library computer doesn't accept cookies?
But to my surprise,  it did allow me to install the Password Maker extension in the firefox browser, and that worked. :) So so far that's my versatile solution.

What do you mean,  "Custom sites with the FF version is likely phishable compared to using the default site". Why would they be phishable?

I was planning a strategy of using the default settings for less important passwords, and custom settings and/or a different master password for the more important passwords. But still keeping things simple enough to remember in my head.

I guess to use it on a phone I'd need the Android version? Or would the online one work on a phone?

Thanks,
Fiona

Fiona

Offline Miquel 'Fire' Burns

• Administrator
  • Programmer
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 12:13:37 AM »
I'm curious to know why the online version didn't work. Maybe they have noscript installed? (I don't think not accepting cookies will block it)

The custom site thing has you put the domain in a plain text field. Unless you make a good wildcard/regex, there's a chance that a random site might have it's domain match the custom site.
"I'm not drunk, just sleep deprived."

PasswordMaker Forums

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 12:13:37 AM »